Monday, June 13, 2016

Author Spotlight: Burning by Danielle Rollins

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 5:30 PM


Danielle Vega is the author of THE MERCILESS and SURVIVE THE NIGHT. She's also the author of BURNING, under the name Danielle Rollins.

Title: Burning
Publication: April 5th 2016
Cover Rating: 5/5

The tagline for Burning says "Orange is the New Black for Young Adult readers", or something along those lines. I have never seen that show, I think I understand the gist of it from seeing commercials, but... I HAVE read the Mara Dyer trilogy and I can definitely say that this book is OitNB meets Mara Dyer. If you like either of those things then this is the book for you.

Angela is one tough main character. The book begins with her being a kid and talking about the stories her father used to tell. I actually had no idea what that had to do with the book until a little further in, but it's definitely relevant, maybe not entirely but it do help with the plot. We get to learn the kind of lifestyle she comes from and then after all that, BAM, she's in Juvi in the middle of this frozen tundra called New York. 

I loved Cara and Issie. Cara was a little bit on the unlovable side but she had her perks. Like the government conspiracies thing. Issie seemed normal. She had a huge family waiting for her and she loved them. I could see Issie being okay when she was released. I am not sure about Cara though. She would have probably ended up in a mental hospital somewhere. People don't take too kindly to paranoid people but Cara had this loving feel about her. After all, she did read Charlies letters for Angela. 

So, while all of these girls are locked up in this center, a new doctor comes in when a new patient arrives. It doesn't seem that odd at first but after SciGirls got thrown in and the doctor replaced the old director, things start to change drastically. It's actually hard to believe that ALL of those girls could be that naive when it came to joining SciGirls. 

We didn't get to know a lot about Jessica but she was extremely interesting. I wanted to know more about her back story. We got a good bit but it didn't satisfy me. 

Ben/Mateo was another character I would have loved to know more about. What did he see in Angela? What made him do the thing with the cassette tape? I would have loved to see further into the future of the book to see what happened with him. 

I really enjoyed this book. The only big things that bugged me were A) Angela backstabbing Jessica. I know she was scared but that was some bad judgement on her part, and B) How could Dr. Gruen not be able to figure out HOW Jessica got to be the way she was? Maybe she was playing stupid. I have no idea. 

By the end of the book I was praying that it would end without a cliffhanger, considering it's a standalone book, but noooo, it ended without answering so much and I NEEEEED more.  Like, what was the reasoning behind Angela's mother writing that letter? What happened to Charlie? Jessica? The doctor? The other girls? And most importantly, BEN?!? AHHHHHHHHH. Hopefully the author will magically write a sequel? Maybe? A girl can hope... right? 

Overall, I gave the book 4.5/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei