Friday, September 30, 2016

REVIEW: Pretty Wicked by Kelly Charron

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 12:00 AM
Title: Pretty Wicked
Genre: Crime/Mystery YA
Author: Kelly Charron
Publisher: Dark Arts Publishing
Publication: September 30th 2016
Cover Rating: 2/5

Pretty Wicked is unlike any other book I have ever read before. I am sure there are plenty of books out there that has a similar plot but this was the first for me. It is told from the perspective of a teenage killer and like three or four chapters where the POV switches to a police officer dealing with the ordeal.

Ryann, whom I thought was a guy for like the first 10 pages, is that perfect cheerleader, good grades, super innocent type of girl in public. But at home, behind closed doors, she is a cold blooded killer. I loved getting to see how Ryann thought and how she planned things. I don't know what that says about me... But if Ryann can be a murderer... Then anyone can. Even all those lost socks in the dryer could be murderers.

The family dynamic in the book seemed a little iffy. It felt like the family members were just created, besides the father, to interact with Ryann. The sister was never really there and the mother was always at work so we didn't get to see who they were. I feel like the sister was the most iffy character. Other than Ryann having to live up to her "perfect" sister, there was really nothing.

Ryann's friends were weird. For her being a cheerleader she hung out with a different crowd. And one thing I noticed was that they were all morbid in some way. They all wanted to know the gruesome details of every murder. Ryann's best friend, Bao Yu, was the worst of them all. Yet... In the end, they were singing a different tune.

Knox was actually a surprise to me. I was thinking that he was just playing with Ryann to get evidence but what happened in the end wasn't what I had in mind. I honestly thought he had his phone on record the entire time. But I also didn't really think he was who he ended up being. I thought Ryann's sister was going to be the one...

I think one of the big questions I still had in the end was, did they ever figure out that Ryann was involved with her friends death in elementary school? But even without that answered the book was still very good. I think if it wasn't for Knox then Ryann's ending would have been a lot different.

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei