Friday, May 19, 2017

My Thoughts: 13 Reasons Why - Episode 1

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:26 PM

So... I read this book a VERY long time ago. Let me go check my Goodreads to see if I even have it marks as when I read it on there. 

Nope, I don't even have a date on there. Just that it was read. I can say I know it was more than 5 years ago. I found a copy of this book, along with all of John Greens present works and a few other YA authors that write about Manic Pixie Dream Girls and other pointless shit. So, I picked up Thirteen Reasons Why along with Jay Ashers other book about AOL and Facebook. I read it and moved on. It was sad, sure, but it didn't impact me because I HAVE had friends commit suicide. Very close friends. People you would never think would consider taking their lives. It happens every-fucking-day for a multitude of reasons. 

I didn't think I would end up watching the Netflix series. Today, I changed that. I was working on my bookshelves and decided, meh, why not? I am a Young Adult reviewer and blogger so I might as well keep up to date with all things YA. 

So far... It is actually a pretty good representation of the book. The actor playing Clay, is he the dude that played in some R L STINE movie?, I feel, is a great fit. The girl playing Hannah Baker is a good fit too. 

I have heard so many whiny people saying this series is glorifying and romanticizing suicide. I have no idea what series they are watching but that couldn't be further from the truth. This series shows how agonizing it is to lose someone to suicide. It is showing that there are so many levels and reasons that someone would want to end their life because. Nothing is black and white, especially suicide and I think the people who are saying the whole glorifying/romanticizing shit need to reevaluate their definitions of those terms. 

Then, there are the people saying OMG DON'T LET YOUR KIDS WATCH THIS ERRTHESRGAWRGSRTDFERG. Why not? Do people not realize that kids see and hear worse shit that this on the daily? Do parents really have their heads that far up their own asses that they still somehow think the world is good? Life fucking sucks. Let your kids watch this. Do you want them to resent you one day for not letting them watch certain things because you view of the world vs. your childs' view of the world is horrible skewed? I have a fourteen year old niece. I was thirteen when she was born. And I can tell you that NOTHING about school or social life is the same from when I was a teenager to now when my niece is a teenager. There is some horribly gross shit on social media. Teenagers worshiping the kids who did the Columbine Massacre. Posting 'memes' about incest and tons and tons of suicide posts. Every kid now thinks they have anxiety and panic attacks and don't want you assuming their genders. This generation is disgusting. So, please, tell me what this series has that could be remotely worse than what your children see daily? What they participate in daily. I'll be waiting for your reply.

I am off the watch the second episode. But before I go I want to say that only thing that bothers me about this show is the mass usage of smartphones. The book was written in 2007. I graduated in 2007. The first iPhone didn't even come out until mid 2007 and even then, you had to be rich to have one. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei