Thursday, September 28, 2017

REVIEW: Grit by Gillian French - 3 stars

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 10:00 AM
Title: Grit
Genre: YA Contemporary 
Author: Gillian French
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication: May 16th 2017
Cover Rating: 3/5

Day after day I sit down to write book reviews. I have read some amazing books but I have also read some not so great books. I usually write equal length reviews for both sides of the spectrum. Today, I have decided I will no longer be doing that.

I picked up Grit in hopes of getting a good murder/mystery book. Nope. Not what I got. I was highly disappointed with this very odd book. The book took place, for the majority, in a berry picking field. Yep, you read that right. But the berry friend sounded kind of cool. I'd love to go somewhere to work for a few days to make some side money to buy more books.

Pros:
Jesse
Donating to the immigrants after the fire
A mean sister that still had good intentions
Jesse and friend standing up for the MC's honor
The Landlord

Cons:
Dead father from his own stupidity
Daughter who might end up dead because of her own stupidity
Some weird country bumpkin pageant
Females being called whores
Immigrants being treated like literal shit 💩
A secret that was unable to be told to the reader
The secret was used to fill way too many plot holes
Lazy plot
Rape
Assault
A horrible aunt who calls her niece a whore
A missing best friend that might not exactly be missing
A poorly done plot
A horrible plot twist that felt like it was from another book
A very rushed ending
Just... ugh

In the end, I have realized that books like this are really hit or miss with me. When I say 'books like this' I mean We Were Liars, Wink, Poppy, Midnight and The Careful Undressing of Love. I am not even sure there is a term for books like this other than 'WEIRD' but if you know of a more proper term, by all means, please let me know.

Overall, I gave the book 3/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei