Thursday, February 8, 2018

REVIEW: Turtles All the Way Down by John Green - Jenn

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:00 AM

SYNOPSIS:

Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett’s son, Davis.

Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts. 

In his long-awaited return, John Green, the acclaimed, award-winning author of Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars, shares Aza’s story with shattering, unflinching clarity in this brilliant novel of love, resilience, and the power of lifelong friendship.



I was scared to read this book for a number of reasons.
-I have mild OCD, anxiety, depression, invasive thoughts, so I was afraid of what I would see in TATWD.
-I really love The Fault in our Stars and was afraid this book wouldn't live up to my expectations.
-The idea of "it's turtles all the way down" and the story that accompanies that statement were interesting, but I was uncertain how that theme could be sustained throughout a full length novel.

But, FEAR NOT, because I just finished it and love it. It blew my expectations out of the metaphorical water and into the stars that Davis (one of the characters) loves to observe and ponder.

I have never read a book that had me feeling so exposed. I kept a notepad nearby for lines that I wanted to immortalize somewhere in my life--a journal, a wall decoration, a tattoo perhaps--and I have six pages worth of quotations and pages to look at. I feel a little breathless perusing those pages and wanting to re-live reading this book.

Examples of moments I LOVE:

"Our hearts were broken in the same places. That's something like love, but maybe not quite the thing itself." (206)

"I knew how that felt--all my life, I'd been unable to think straight, unable to even finish having a thought because my thoughts came not in lines but in knotted loops curling in upon themselves, in sinking quicksand, in light-swallowing wormholes." (113)

"'And if you can't pick what you do or think about, then maybe you aren't really real, you know? Maybe I'm just a lie that I'm whispering to myself.'" (105)

"'And we're such language-based creatures that to some extent we cannot know what we cannot name. And so we assume it isn't real.'" (89)

"True terror isn't being scared; it's not having a choice in the matter." (22)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei