Friday, January 9, 2015

Author Spotlight: Gates of Thread and Stone by Lori M. Lee

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM



Lori is the author of Gates of Thread and Stone and The Infinite. She has a borderline obsessive fascination with unicorns, is fond of talking in capslock, and loves to write about magic, manipulation, and family. She lives in Wisconsin with her husband, kids, and a friendly pitbull.



Title: Gates of Thread and Stone
Author: Lori M. Lee
Publisher: Skyscape
Publication: August 5th 2014
Cover Rating: 5/5

I am still getting used to reading fantasy type books. As I read more I realize how much I like fantasy books and I just think about how much I have missed out on over the years. I am so glad I didn't miss out on this book.

Kai is such a strong female character. She is a little clingy but that can be explained away by the fact that she was found on the side of the river, has no living relatives and has only ever had her adoptive brother, Reev. She is also extremely stubborn and strong willed. Once she decides on something she sticks to it until she is done.

She lives in a place called The Labyrinth. Basically its like a train yard. Lot's of metal boxes stacked on top of each other. I have read about people living this way in other books so it is definitely something I can picture existing or happening some day. 

The entire book is centered around Reev going missing and Kai trying to find him. She risks her life and loses everything she even knew just to find and save her brother. She is a very admirable person. 

Avan is a that dreamy guy that everyone wants. Unfortunately, everyone actually does seem to get him. He has very loose morals and it effects my feelings for him. I don't like loose guys. His feelings for Kai are very vibrant. I do adore the way he feels about her and how he would, AND DOES, do anything for her. 

You become attached to every character. It's impossible not to. Everyone has their own amazing personality and they are all very addicting. 

The book is some what of a retelling. I don't want to say what it is a retelling of because I didn't even figure it out until I sat down and talked to my fiance about the book. If you aren't familiar with religions and history then you probably won't get the retelling. Either way, retelling or not, the book is still amazing and brings you into a world of magic, death and love.

Upon meeting Irra is when I fully became away of the retelling aspects. The irony of who Irra was and the Hollows was pretty awesome. Let's just say that you won't be going hungry in his house. HAHA!

Mason/G-10 was definitely swoon-worthy. He was sweet, caring and helpful but he would also kick some mean ass if he needed to. He has some feelings for Kai but as I stated preciously, Kai is stubborn and strong willed and she was on a mission and nothing was going to get in her way. Not even a cute, blue eyed guy.

At the end is where everything comes into pretty clear focus. Everyone was in on some big elaborate plan and all Kai wants is for her brother and Avan to be safe. She doesn't exactly get what she worked so hard for but she gets some semblance of it. And that semblance can be viewed as good or bad. But either way it is heartbreaking. 

I am now dying for the next book! I need to know what happens to everyone. I want to know what happens to Ninurta and all the people. Did Irra bring all of the Hollows back with him? So many questions! 

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars.




1) Where did the idea for Gates of Thread and Stone come from?

A friend said something in passing about the "children of time," to which I thought: "Oooooh." So I jotted it down into a word doc and forgot about it for a year while I worked on something else. Then when it came time to begin something new, I came back to that small phrase and really wanted to do something with it. But I was also rather smitten with a scifi idea about mind-controlled super soldiers (which I've always been fascinated with because that seems like a normal thing to be fascinated about, right?). And then it just made total sense to combine the ideas into one!

2) Who would you pick? Avan or Mason?

Yikes, tough choice. There are things about both boys that I like. Ultimately, I'd probably pick Avan because my brain conceived him first so I'm a little partial haha.

3) How many books are going to be in the series?

Hopefully three!

4) Would you want to be an Infinite?

Gosh, no. Sounds dreadful! lol. The character of Ninu shares a smidgen of my personal views on immortality--probably not all it's cracked up to be.

5) How would you react if you found out you were the Daughter of Time?

I'd probably get up to ALL KINDS of mischief. It would be a nightmare. The River would unravel. I'd be fired.

6) Who is your favorite character from your book?

Probably Kai. She's been with me the longest (you can see that I don't have the best method for naming favorites lol). After her, it would probably be Irra simply because he's so fun to write.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei