Thursday, July 2, 2015

Summer of Reviews: Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM

Title: Nantucket Blue
Author: Leila Howland
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication: May 7th 2013
Cover Rating: 5/5


First, I just want to say, I loved Nantucket Blue sooo much that I put Nantucket Red on hold at the library before I even finished the book. I need to know what happens.

The first forty pages or so are very intense. You are thrown into a world of sports, teenage emotions and death. So be prepared for strong emotions to be felt.

Jules really irritated me. I really don't see why she did what she did to Cricket. I understand that Jules might be upset and mixed up about her mother but that doesn't give her an excuse to treat Cricket as badly as she did. You aren't supposed to shut out the people who care about you. Nina treated Cricket as a daughter and Jules should have respected that too.

Zach was such an unexpected twist in the story. I thought Jay was going to be the guy on the cover. NOPE! Wrong. So very, very wrong. But for some reason I kept picturing Zach as some weird nerdy kid with a pocket protector and boogers hanging out of his nose. I didn't see him as a love interest until near the end of the book.

I loved Cricket. She was kind of weak at the beginning but after Jules, Jay, Zach and her father, she built up a new personality and stopped caring so much what other thought about her and started worrying about what she thought of herself. For lack of a better phrase, Cricket finally grew a pair by the end of the book. They might be tiny right now but I'm sure they will grow in the next book.

I didn't like Cricket's dad. He was one of those dads that get a new family and completely forget about his old one. He treats his wife's adopted son better than he treats his own daughter. Cricket's mom wasn't exactly much better but she was crappy in a different way. She couldn't move on and was wasting her life away. But, in the end, she also grew a pair and came out of her "scorned woman" shell.

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei