Monday, August 31, 2015

Pre-Pub Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM
Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Publication: September 1st 2015
Cover Rating: 5/5

Everything, Everything was not at all what I was expecting it to be. I was thinking it would be another sob story about a sick girl and some random boy falling in love and blah blah blah. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that the book was beautifully written and had a very deep inner meaning. I cannot stress enough how beautiful of a book this was. It was innocent and everything felt brand new. The book drew me in and I felt all of the emotions it was portraying. If you think The Fault in Our Stars was such a beautiful book then you need to read Everything, Everything. TFIOS doesn't even compare. And did I mention short chapters? I sooo love me some short chapters. Long ones just make the book feel like its dragging on. So, yeah, read this. Now.

At first, I felt pretty connected to Maddy. I have some pretty bad health issues that sort of border on what she is supposed to have. I wish I had a sterile house where nothing could hurt me. But that is where my wishing I had her life ended. The poor girl had never really met another person, EVER, besides her mother, nurse, and tutors. The very first sentence of the book made me laugh and want to challenge Maddy. She says has read more books than I have. I don't know. I might give her a run for her money on that one. 

Olly was an amazing character. We all know that boys want what they can't have. And then when they finally get it they take it, use it and then leave. But Olly isn't like that at all. He watches his mother suffer and sees his family falling apart and I guess that teaches him to not take things for granted. His interest in Maddy, at first, is to be expected. Weird girl staring out of a window in an all white room. Who wouldn't be intrigued? But he didn't stop with simple curiosity. He formed something with Maddy that a boy his age normally isn't capable of. I was afraid that once everything happened he would change and Maddy would try to get him back but he would have moved on. 

You are supposed to be able to trust your parents 100%. Without the trust children build with their parents and family how is the child supposed to learn and grow? Maddy's mother broke that trust before Maddy was even old enough to know what trust was. Then Maddy grew up believing that her mother gave up so much of her own life just to take care of her. How will Maddy ever truly trust anyone now? She might feel like she knows what love and trust is but I have a feeling later down the road her relationships and life will cause her to question her trust in someone.

The book definitely didn't end the way I was thinking it would. It didn't even cross my mind that the book would end that way. I was thinking everything from suicide to running away and joining the circus. NOPE! WRONG! But I guess I should have been a little clued in when the whole Carla situation happened. A normal person would never do that to someone who has A) been a part of the family for 15 years and B) is the only other person Maddy has that loves her. Her mother was just afraid that the secret would get out I guess. And I didn't see that at all until the book ended. 

But after all that happened the final part was actually pretty close to what I wanted to happen. I was afraid it wouldn't happen because Maddy pushed everyone away towards the end. But it did happen and I hope she can move on with her life and finally get to LIVE.

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei