Tuesday, January 17, 2017

REVIEW: Forever, Again by Victoria Laurie - 5 stars

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 3:00 PM
Title: Forever, Again
Genre: YA Paranormal Mystery
Author: Victoria Laurie
Publisher: Hyperion
Publication: December 13th 2016
Cover Rating: 3/5

Ahhhh! (Yes, I am aware that is totally unprofessional but come one people, reviews are supposed to be about how you felt!!) I loved this damn book. Yes, I said damn. I am quite aware of this. The synopsis made the book sound like it was just some murder-mystery that some teenage individuals were going to try and solve. Yes, it was sort of like that but it was also so amazing and paranormal and really fricken awesome. 

So we have Lily, Cole, Amber and Ben. Amber and Ben were murdered in 1985. Lily and Cole are somehow connected to Amber and Ben and they are trying to solve their murders. Those characters and the murder are pretty much the main focus of the book. Then you have some horrible snotty psychotic grandparents and a cheating dad, a pregnant secretary and BAM a book fit for a Lifetime TV movie. I think I will leave it at that. 

***Spence's situation with his dad and trying to protect his mother and sister hit a little too close to home. Listening to the excuses he made about why they keep his dad around are excuses I remember giving to the same questions. No one really understands abuse in a family unless they have lived through it. This situation made me so sad. Then what happened, and hearing that Spence still cared so much about someone who made his life miserable was painful. Spence seemed like a really amazing guy.*** This was written while I was still reading the book. Then everything went down and I was just kind of sitting here dumbstruck by the stuff that happened and what Spence ended up doing. Spence knew how nasty his mother was. I have no idea why he would want to take such risks for someone so horrible. I thought maybe the abuse made her that way but I think she was always like that. I  also have some suspicions about Spence's father and his mothers involvement in that little scenario. 

Strangely enough, the book did not end how I thought it would. You know how people can just guess the killer or the bad guy within a few minutes of reading the plot? This book didn't have the predictability. I actually really loved the ending. I do still have a few questions like if the Bennetts weren't actually involved in any of the incidents then why did the grandmother do what she did with the salon? She wasn't the nicest person. Lily does mention why this happened but I can't see doing something THAT drastic for a person out of the kindness or your shriveled up little Grinch heart. But, in the end, I think that little heart was starting to thaw. THEN I want to know how everything ended with Cole and Ben. Since Lily said Amber had moved on, what does that mean for Ben?

I had all intents and purposes of rating this book 4.5/5 stars. But I got so sucked in towards the end that there is no way this book deserves anything less than 5 stars.

The last little thing I wanted to add was this: I find it really awesome when a real place I know ends up in a book I am reading. I was reading another book along side this one and it mentioned Housing Works Cafe and I just giggled because that it where I tend to order a lot of my used books from on Amazon. Forever, Again mentioned one of my favorite sub places. It's just the little things like this that make me really appreciate that, even though the books are fiction, sometimes authors use real places.

Overall, I gave this book 5/5 stars.








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei