Friday, April 21, 2017

As I Read Review: Hunted by Meagan Spooner - 3 Stars

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 11:00 AM
Title: Hunted
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Author: Meagan Spooner
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication: March 14th 2017
Cover Rating: 5/5

April 4th 2017

1:31pm - pg 48:
So this book is supposed to be a Beauty and the Beast retelling. So I'm guessing Solmir might be the books version of Gaston. But Solmir isn't disgusting and he doesn't treat Yeva/Beauty as a stupid girl. Maybe this is role reversal. Will I hate Beast?

1:53pm - pg 86:
The father better be okay... also, I do like Solmir but there is a small part of me that feels like he is too desperate.

I really like the creepy Beast parts at the beginning of each chapter. But he isn't a normal version of the Beast. He has multiple people inside of him like Legion. We are many.

2:05pm - pg 94:
Interesting... very interesting. I can't wait to find out exactly what curse this specific beast is under.
I also can't help but wonder if Solmir is involved or at least a part, whether he knows it or not.

2:12pm - pg 105:
I loved the stories Yeva started to tell. I can really see the parts that are retelling.
I'm also finding it weird that it was expected that someone would rescue Beauty. Maybe that is how the Beast viewed women. A man has to come and save a beauty.

This version of the retelling is definitely making me think of Beastly by Alex Flynn. The way Beast reacts to anyone seeing him reminds me of how the guy in Beastly reacted. But this beast, his reaction might be more that just his looks. Maybe it is part of the curse? We shall see.

2:19pm - pg 119:
Ha! That is right Mr. Beast. That is what you fricken get for assuming a man had to save a woman!
The stories seem to be this tales version of the books that were so prominent for the original versions.
I am at the part where the beast starts to shift his feelings.
And I am really interested in this whole Firebird thing. It is a very interesting story.

April 5th 2017

9:41am - Page 200:
Okay so after stopping last night and starting again today... UGH! The dog!!! Really?!?! You don't do that crap. Haven't you see movies where that crap happens? People don't like it. I know it survived but still.

ALSO... My blogger app didn't save like 4 update so I am over here all angry and annoyed. Blah!!

11:14am -pg 255:
OH NO SHE DIDN'T. Revenge is such an ugly thing and I wish she wouldn't have done that.

11:19am - pg 261:
Ahhh now its becoming very Beauty and the Beasty.

Omfg I bet you anything this son of a b***h married one of the other girls.... I just feel like he did. Ugh

Uh huh. You better not have dude. Glad I was wrong.

OH NEVERMIND!!! You asshat. I shouldn't be mad because she wasn't that upset but still, what a fricken asshat. Gross!!

11:31am - pg 275:
Hmmmmmm

FINISHED REVIEW:

Alrighty then. I finished it. I didn't really find much wrong with it other than the fact that I have heard this story told in about fifty other Young Adult fantasy books.

Girl. Small town in some kingdom. Some archaic, small town hive mind bullcrap about women needing to be quiet, uneducated and proper. And that women aren't worth anything if they are unwed or without child. Blah Blah blah blah blah. Then this one specific girl defies all odds and she wants to be a hunter or a assassin or some other crazy thing women aren't allowed to be. The girl is always a badass, always trying to avenge or get revenge. Girl meets guy. Girl and guy have feelings for each other, usually instantly, and it's ALWAYS either forbidden or unwholesome for their love to exist. Sound like anything you've read lately?

The book, however, was actually fairly unique is its representation of Beauty any Beast.

I can't be too harsh on this book though as Beauty and the Beast retelling always touch a soft spot in my heart and this particular story wasn't as horribly sexist as most of its brethren. BUT THAT ENDING pissed me right the hell off. This is a standalone book, if I'm not mistaken, and the ending just happened. One minute there was some form of action or plot and then BAM everything was okay and they lived Happily Ever After. That's it. Beauty had apparently gotten over her father's loss completely and broke a curse that didn't seem to make a lot of sense, magically. So yeah, that ending was rushed and doesn't even seem to fit with the book in terms of giving answers irs driving me crazy. And not good crazy, either. The best way I can describe the ending is.... have you ever watched a horror movie that came on normal cable television? Well the sex scenes and certain crap is edited out to allow for commercials and to fit it into and certainly time slot. I feel like the ending was edited out and the replacement was horrible.

I was very hasty with giving the book 5/5 stars because its a Beauty and the Beast retelling. So I am biased because that is my favorite story of all time. But after sitting on it for a while I realized the book wasn't that special. It wasn't a BAD book. It just wasn't unique, at all. Imagine watching your favorite show or movie over and over again. You still love it but it's the same thing over and over so you know what you are going to get. Except imagine going in each time expecting a different outcome.

So, I had to downgrade the rating to 3/5 stars.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei