Tuesday, January 28, 2014

REVIEW: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 7:36 AM
Title: Cruel Beauty
Author: Rosamund Hodge
Format: Paperback ARC
Source: Trade
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: TODAY!!

REVIEW: Rosamund Hodge stayed true to the whole curse aspect of Beauty and The Beast. Then she added a twist of benevolence and Greek mythology and the end result was this astounding book.

The world building was thrilling and captivating. I found myself wishing I could actually be in The Heart of Water and The Heart of Air. And that library. I loved the fact that the house changed.

Nyx was such an amazing protagonist. She was strong, brave, smart and bitter. She was dealt a terrible hand and couldn't do anything but go along with it. Her twin sister, Astraia, was such a spoiled brat. Towards the end, Astraia actually tried to show that she was stronger than Nyx. It was Astraia who pushed Nyx to do so many things whether she wanted to do them or not. Pretending not to hate your sister must be taxing.

BUT pretending not to hate your father must be even worse. Had it not been for her fathers selfish ways and stupidity, Nyx wouldn't have to pay for her families debt.

I am glad that it was Nyx who was sent to the Gentle Lord as opposed to Astraia. Had it been the other way around, I think Astraia would have gotten herself killed really fast.

Oh boy. Shade. At first I loved him. He seems so kind and helpful. But it turns out that ulterior motives can alter ones personality. In the end I still can't figure out whether Shade was the GOOD part of the prince or the BAD part.

Ignifex blew my mind. His character was so prominent and bold that there was no possible way that I couldn't be on his side. Sure, hes a demon lord. Sure, he can have shadows devour you. But he never did anything like that. He was actually quite docile unless otherwise provoked. All the rumors about The Gentle Lord being a horrible beast were put to rest the minute Nyx stepped foot into his castle.

There is also irony in this book. Regardless of what The Gentle Lord did towards the end Nyx's mother still suffered a terrible fate.

The one thing that will always stick out about this book most of all, to me, is the world building and character development. Normally I can never imagine the fantastical worlds that are in fantasy books. I can never picture what is going on. But Rosamund Hodge managed to find that part of my imagination and stimulate it just right so that I pictured EVERYTHING so vividly. The parchment sky with the holes burnt into it. The gilded walls and hallways. The dresses Ignifex had for Nyx. Every aspect of this book was completely spectacular.

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 Kitties.





This picture makes me think of Cruel Beauty so very much. So, of course, I had to add it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei