Monday, November 17, 2014

Mini Review Monday[24] The Lightning Thief by Rock Riordan

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 11:00 AM








I love anything that deals with Greek mythology, so I was excited to be able to start reading the Percy Jackson series. 

I know a lot of people read this series during their middle grade years, but I was reading other books. I was hooked from the first page with the sarcasm/humor that we see right away. I enjoyed that because I love both.

We are in the perspective of a 12 year old boy hero and it was refreshing to read that. I don’t have many books where it's in a boy's perspective. You learn he is a troubled kid but yet he is actually a good kid. Reason being is because he doesn't exactly fit into the human school system. He belongs somewhere else. 

While in school, he has a friend named Grover and it turns out he isn't exactly human and is there for a reason. Grover eventually gets Percy to this camp where people like him live and are protected. This is where you meet a strong female character, Annabeth. 

This book is very fast paced and I love that. The story goes, by quick without having any dull moments. It is also action packed. One moment they are battling something and are on the run and the next thing you know they are battling something else. 

Grover, Annabeth and Percy don't have much time to sit and rest on the quest they go on to. They are constantly being found and fought. 

In this Greek mythology story we learn a lot of history and I love learning how Rick Riordan wrote it. Not only do we get the history, but we also learn about all kinds of different creatures that are part of their world. 

I enjoyed reading this very much. I love the characters, the plot, the action, the humor and the pace. Not only that, but I liked that the gods do have some interaction with the children that they have. It may not be directly, but at least they acknowledge the children that they have. This was a very enjoyable read and I can't wait to read the next book.

One quote did stick out to me though that Percy said and that is “So few people did good in their lives. It was depressing.”  

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei