Sunday, December 7, 2014

25 Days of Reviewmas[Day 7] Labor Day by Joyce Maynard

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 4:00 PM
Title: Labor Day
Author: Joyce Maynard


I bought this book solely because I saw it was being turned into a movie. I didn't know much about this book when I started it. All I knew was what I saw from the previews for the movie.

I really don't know what to say about this book. I am at a loss of words. I will start by saying that I love the narration of how it was told by the main character like he was reflecting back on his life during these six days that he and his mom had with Frank and how it impacted their lives. 

In those six days that Frank was with Henry and his mom, Adele, so much changed for the both of them. Adele turned into a happy person and was actually laughing and smiling because she fell in love truly for the first time and just wanted to be with Frank. All the while Frank was more of a father figure to Henry than his own father was. 

In a matter of six days all of this happened. Frank is such a nice and caring guy that you just couldn't believe he was in jail. 

Both Frank and Adele come from pasts that affected them both to where they just wanted to be left alone, but they found each other and it changes their lives forever. I found it beautiful because it shows how love works in mysterious ways. 

Not only did we get to see how Frank being around effected their lives, but we also got to witness Henry at the tender age of 13 when puberty hits. While his body is going through changes and hormones are making themselves known, he is dealing with a guy coming into their lives who is, in all sense of the word, a boyfriend to his mom and he feels mad that he is taking her away from him because his mom has never had any other guy around. 

This story is very touching. It shows you how even though life hasn't been the best for you there is still hope for you to find love in the strangest of places and that there is just hope for you in the future. It may take years and mistakes may be made, but it is out there. 

Once I picked this book up I could not put it down. There were so many emotions thrown at you that it is hard to put the book down. Even if it is just to eat. I really, really enjoyed reading it. I wish that we got more out of the ending though. It's a good ending, but I still want more.

I love this quote: "It's like life: sometimes the littlest thing turns out to be the most important."

Overall, I gave the book 4.5/5 stars.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei