Tuesday, March 17, 2015

REVIEW: The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM
Title: The Summer I Found You
Author: Jolene Perry
Publisher: Albert Whitman & Company
Publication: March 1st 2014
Cover Rating: 3/5







Jolene Perry is one of those authors where if she writes a book, I must read it, own it, and sniff it. So I was so excited when I finally got my hands on a copy of The Summer I Found You.

At first, I thought the book was going to be a little weird for me. Reading about a guy who lost his arm and a girl with diabetes and their budding romance had me a little on edge. How could a one armed guy possibly be sexy? How was this book going to keep me interested? Well, I didn't even need to ask those questions because they never crossed my mind once I was actually reading the book.

Kate is a terrible girl. She just found out she has a life threatening disease and she can't be responsible enough to take her insulin or eat right. She is setting herself up to die and I can't find it in me to feel sorry for her. Her top priority is worrying about her ex dumping her. Not that fact that she could slip into a diabetic coma at any second.

Aiden is awesome. Aside from the whole PTSD thing. But would you really expect a guy who lost his arm and a good friend to be okay? To me, he seemed pretty good for a guy who went through hell and back. He lost his career, his future, his motivation but he survived, in the end. He is kind, caring and all the things that I don't think Kate deserved at first. But they worked together so well and I am glad they found each other.

I really loved how the book combined such trivial high school things with some very tough choices and lifestyles. On on hand, I can understand Kate just wanting to live a normal life but on the other hand I can't condone her lack of self preservation.

The ending had me worried for a little bit but I am glad it happened the way it did. Kate needed a wake up call and I think Aiden was the only one who was able to do that for her. Which is quite sad considering they hadn't known each other that long. When your FAMILY and FRIENDS cannot convince you to save yourself then you really need to rethink your priorities in life.

Update 6/29/2015 - I have been thinking about this book a lot lately. I adore the author and I love her work so her books are always popping into my head. Last night I was thinking about how I have a few different illnesses but most of them I can hide because they are inside. I feel like Kate thought she could hide her "disability" and get away with it, which technically she could. But it wasn't right of her to do that. Aiden can't hide his disability. I am torn between right and wrong here. I don't normally tell people about my ailments unless they ask or if my one visual ailment is present. Oh the one hand, I completely understand wanting to hide your flaws. But on the other hand, Kate was getting into a relationship with a guy who she could somewhat relate to in terms of disabilities. But she didn't and I can't fathom why. Internal conflict aside, I truly think everyone should read at least one of Jolene Perry's books. They are always deep and beautiful and they have such horrible trials that each character must over some. Her books are very inspiring; I know they inspired me.

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 kitties. 

1 comments:

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction on March 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM said...

The premise of this one definitely sounds interesting. I'm a fan of books that deal with PTSD, so I think I'll check this one out!

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei