Wednesday, November 6, 2013

REVIEW Divergent by Veronica Roth

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 7:27 AM
Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (HarperCollins)

REVIEW: I liked it. It didn't live up to all the hype but I did like it. If you are having a hangover from The Hunger Games this is definitely the book to read.

The book was pretty fast paced for me. I had to keep putting it down because I had ordered Insurgent and was waiting for it to get here because I knew once I finished Divergent I would want to continue on right away.

Most of the characters seem pretty realistic. Peter is one of the characters I have a hard time believing. He is just a little too cruel and then at the end he had the balls to do what he did. If I was Tris I would have gotten what I needed from him and then disposed of him.

Tris, to me, seems weak and strong at the same time. She struggles to become a part of Dauntless while she is still holding on to the past. If I was her I would have some serious trust issues after what Al did.

Four/Tobias is harsh and gentle at the same time. He knows how to and where to push Tris. If it wasn't for Four, Tris wouldn't have gotten very far I think.

I would have loved to see Four stand up to his father in the end. I really hope Tris doesn't become his savior. He is supposed to be the brave one.

I was okay with Caleb throughout the book until the very end. I think Tris should have told him why she shot Peter. Maybe then he would have understood. Then again he is Abnegation at heart.

I do wonder how the next two books are going to play out. Losing almost everyone you love in a matter of hours has got to be extremely hard and I think Tris will crash and burn, at least for a short period of time.

Will... :(!

What happened to Christina and Tori? Ugh I need to read Insurgent.. NOW!

I enjoyed the romance in this book a lot more than The Hunger Games. There was equal parts romance and action.

Veronica Roth is a great writer from what I can tell and she definitely knows how to SHOW instead of TELL and I appreciate that.

The world building was pretty decent. I imagined myself in all the places she described.

Overall, I gave the book 4/5 Kitties.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei