Tuesday, January 23, 2018

REVIEW: Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones - 4.5 stars

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:00 AM
Title: Wintersong
Genre: YA Historical Fantasy Retelling
Author: S. Jae-Jones
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Publication: February 7th 2017
Cover Rating: 5/5
Reading format: Owned Hardback

Let me just start off by saying that I know nothing about music unless it has to do with singing. So picking up a book that had piano and violin music as the very heart of it kind of scared me. But this book was so beautiful and musical to the point where anyone could appreciate it.

Wintersong is a romantic retelling of the Goblin King/Lord of Mischief. Liesl and her family are musically inclined except for her sister Kathe. Kathe enjoys the finer things in life and she enjoys the attention of men. This leads her to ending up in the Goblin King's grasp and Liesl has to save her sister from a horrible fate. Can taking her sisters place really be the only answer? And will falling in love with the man who is holding her captive be her undoing? Being captive can't be all bad when Liesl finally has the ability to show her musical talent instead of hiding behind her little brother. But no one will ever hear her talent if she is never allowed to leave her underground home.

I really loved the dynamic between The Goblin King and Liesl, he called her Elizabeth. They work very well together physically and musically. I would have loved to see the type of couple the could have been had they not been a part of the whole nightmare. Liesl does get a little bit annoying at parts, especially when she puts herself down and doesn't think she is good enough for things. 

I think the only think I somewhat disliked about this book was how EVERYONE had like 5 names. I know it was a cultural/time period thing but it was crazy trying to keep track of who was who. So the book can get a bit confusing but it so so so worth the read.

In the end, I am so glad I decided to read this book even after picking it up a few times and putting it back down. The ending broke my heart and I found myself texting my friend at 2am telling her how broken I was and the second book better have a better ending or I will just die. Yes, very dramatic but the feelings were so real at that moment. The music that we hear changes our emotions and sometimes, when it's good enough, it can shake us to the very core.

Overall, I gave the book 4.5/5 stars.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei