Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Author Spotlight: Winterkill by Kate A. Boorman

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM




Kate Boorman is an independent artist and writer from the Canadian prairies. She has a Master of Arts in Dramatic Critical Theory, and a work resume full of the usual, whacky assortment of jobs.

Kate spent much of her childhood reading books instead of being useful around the house, and now she writes them, which means she is still not very useful. She is fond of beautiful-creepy things, good chocolate, and cozy slippers (all three are an essential part of her writing process).

She also loves to dig in the dirt, and sit under starry skies with her friends, and travel to far off lands with her husband and two children.

The Winterkill trilogy is her YA fiction debut.

You can also find her YA short story “The Memory Junkies” in the Canadian speculative fiction anthology Tesseracts 15: A Case of Quite Curious Tales. It’s about nostalgia-terrorists.


Title: Winterkill
Author: Kate A. Boorman
Publisher: Amulet
Publication: September 9th 2014
Cover Rating: 5/5

Winterkill is one of those books where no matter how long I make my review I still wont be able to get my entire point across. There aren't enough words in the English language to represent how much I enjoyed this book. I have been sitting on this review for almost a week and I am still at a loss for words but I am going to try to form the review this book deserves.

I ADORED Emmaline's character. She was so strong and brave. Her grandma'am has put a stain over their family but Em was hell bent on trying to make her Pa's and her life better. She wasn't Wayward. She was CURIOUS. You cannot contain people in a small village and not expect them to be come curious. I was actually shocked that more people didn't question everything. But then again, they were safe, fed(barely) and in a community of loved ones so I guess most of them didn't feel like anything should be questioned. Some people don't want MORE. Some people are fine with just living.

Brother Stockham kind of creeped me out. He seemed nice and kind at first but after a few scenes with him trying to get close to Emmaline  he became too obsessive and I could just tell there was something wrong with him. He ended up freaking out on Emmaline and proved that there was definitely a few screws loose. 

Tom was so cute. He had a HUGE secret that could get him send to the gibbets but he keeps his secret and so does Em. It sucks that he can't live life how he wants to but then again it's 2015 and people still can't live how they want.

Kane! Oh, Almighty, Kane. He was so swoon-worthy. He put his life at risk just to watch over Em. I was soooo rooting for him the entire book. Him and Em kept ending up in this impossible situations and I just thought it was so funny. They were always thrown together and I think that helped them get feelings for each other

The entire book just had me on edge all the time. I never knew when someone was going to die because of Wayward acts or if Em was about to get caught exploring the woods. But after Em found the truth out about her Grandma'am I was sitting here telling Em to do bad things! The book was definitely very interactive for me. I was talking to characters so much.

The Lost People was such a cool concept. Obviously other people had to exist, right? The fortification couldn't hold the last of the human race, right? Well, most of the people thought they were the last. It is so sad how easily people will follow the leader.

In the end I found Winterkill to be a breath-taking book. There were so many ups and downs. So many shocks and draw dropping moments. I found myself hoping for certain things to happen and then something else entirely happened. But I am glad it ended the way it did. I was rooting for Kane so much, as I previously said. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book!

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars.



I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys fantasy YA. I would also say if you liked the movie The Village then this book is definitely for you. 



1) Where did the inspiration for Winterkill come from?
 Inspirational source include the Canadian wilderness, the concept of fear, my love of winter and isolated places, and the desire to upend historical events and carve a new story.

2) How many books will be in the series?

There are three. Book 2, Darkthaw, is coming Fall 2015.

3) Did you plan on becoming an author?

Yes and no. I started writing fiction only recently but you need to plan if you want to get your  work published. So I took steps in that direction and so far, it's worked out. :)

4) If you have to describe your book to a potential reader how would
you describe it?

Frontier mystery on disaster amphetamine! Creepy trees! Winter looms!

5) If you had to live under all the rules of the Almighty and live in the fortification would you be Wayward?

 I'm pretty rule-abiding when the rules make sense, so... probably? The rules in Winterkill aren' arbitrary; they're to ensure the survival of a group of people who are struggling and fearful (for good reason). It would depend on what was at stake, I suppose. Like... Cadbury chocolate. I would break the rules for Cadbury.

6) Who is your favorite character in Winterkill?
The weather! (and if you meant human character well, I think they're all my favourite)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei