Monday, April 13, 2015

Mini Review Monday[37] Tricks by Ellen Hopkins

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM
Title: Tricks
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Publication: August 25th 2009
Cover Rating: 4/5

I have been wanting to read an Ellen Hopkins book for so long. I'm so glad that I finally picked one up and got around to reading it. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about her books. I was not disappointed. I love how Ellen Hopkins writes in verse. 

I have never read a book like this before. It was refreshing to read something different. The characters stories really got to me due to my past. I could empathize and sympathize with all the characters. Their stories revolved around such a heartbreaking problem in our society. It shows what happens to kids and teenagers because of either their parents themselves or something happens to their parents that forces them down this path. It isn't an easy life for them for what they go through and put themselves through. It messes them up. If they don't get help a lot worse can happen to them. 

It's good to see that there are some people out there helping them and getting them on the right track. I had such a hard time putting this book down. 

I got sucked into how the book was written and the characters and their stories from the beginning. All I wanted to do was help them. Let them know someone out there cared about what happened to them. 

This book showed you what teenagers will do if they don't get what they need. Acceptance and love for who they are. Someone to care for and about them. If they don't, they do things that hurts them, but yet makes them feel good. My heart breaks for all of those that go down this road for whatever reason it is. 

I enjoyed reading a book about a very serious topic that affects our society. I can't wait to read more by Ellen Hopkins. She has a way with words about serious topics. I really like that.

Overall, I gave this book 5/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei