Thursday, November 16, 2017

REVIEW: Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi - 5 stars

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 10:00 AM
Title: Furthermore
Genre: Fantasy Middle Grade
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: Dutton
Publication: August 30th 2016
Cover Rating: 100/5
Reading Format: Hardback

Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi is the story of Alice Alexis Queensmeadow and her journey to find her father who disappeared more than two years ago. She lives with her mother and brothers on the outskirts of a town that highly values magic and colors. Alice was born with no color at all so she is shunned and she pretends that she doesn't have any magic but she does and her magic is the one thing that might be able to bring her father back.

Alice is such a fun,delightful and slightly sad character. She lets the fact that she was born colorless interfere with her happiness and it leads to a lot of problems in her life. Her mother also adds to to Alice feeling like she isn't worth much. The only person in her world that ever understood her was her father and he vanished without a reason. This hurls Alice head-first into a lot of self-doubt and pain until Oliver shows up and 'saves the day'. If you want to know what I mean by he saves the day then you really need to read this book. 

I loved this book so very much. I loved that it was an Alice in Wonderland inspired retelling and I loved how the outside world was just as peculiar as the wonderland-esque world. The story was so rich and unique. I loved the adventure Alice and Oliver had to go on and I loved the people/creatures they met along the way. I was kind of hoping the little fox would have become like Cheshire and been Alice's guide, I think that was the only part that made me a little sad. But regardless of that, I highly recommend this book for any middle grade reader who loves odd-ball stories. If I was asked to compare this story to something else I would say it is The Pagemaster meets Alice in Wonderland. It was fantastical to the extreme and so much fun with a nice ending.

In the end, the story about Alice's father and how he ended up where he did was so beautiful. I'm not going to spoil it and say WHY he did what he did but you will absolutely adore it once you get to that part. The ending with her mother is also very tear-worthy. This book was just very wholesome, aside from the crazy adventure Alice and Oliver went on.

Overall, I have the book 5/5 stars.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei