Wednesday, January 30, 2019

REVIEW: The Cerulean by Amy Ewing - 5 stars

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:00 AM

Title: The Cerulean
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Author: Amy Ewing
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication: January 29th 2019
Cover Rating: 5/5
Reading format: Provided ARC

The Cerulean by Amy Ewing is a gorgeous tale of a world full of beauty and grace. A world tethered to another planet in order to survive. A world that must move on and tether to a new planet in order to continue this survival. A world where... one of their own people is chosen to make the ultimate sacrifice to break the tether so that the rest of their race may go in search of another planet. 

The Cerulean are a race of people with silver skin, blue eyes, and equally blue hair. They are every bit their namesake. Not only are they stunning but their blood means magic. And this story centers around one of them. Her name is Sera and her blood means magic but it also might mean death.

The story switches back and forth from Sera's home to the world her home is tethered to. It is a very intriguing world much like ours but they live in a time period where women as still pretty much owned an controlled by men. The circumstances in which Sera finds herself in after sacrificing herself for her people is very bizarre. And that says a lot considering Sera just jumped from the clouds.

Sera pretty much becomes a prisoner after she falls. She is captured by the son and daughter of a man who is wealthy but wants to make sure his wealth and standing are never taken away. And this is how Sera meets Agnes. Agnes might be this man's daughter but she is not like him. She wants to help Sera and this leads to many interesting happenings throughout the rest of the book.

I have thought about my review for this book for a few weeks because I was given the honor of being able to read the book before it was released and I think I have finally decided that this is a book that must be experienced. I can sit here and type until my fingers fall off but nothing I can think of can convey how utterly beautiful and thought-provoking this story was. There are so many important things, political, sexual, abhorrently wrong things humans do, etc, that this book contains and it needs to be experienced as a whole instead of in bits and pieces from someone reviewing it. 

In the end, I can say in all honesty that this will be a book I will reread many times. The world and storyline were just so I depth that I feel like I missed so much while also gaining so much. This story was so beautifully woven and I have never read a book that kept tears in my eyes for as long as this one did. This story is as beautifully woven as the cloudspun dresses in this book. I highly recommend this book!

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei