Thursday, May 22, 2014

REVIEW: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 7:00 AM

Title: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Publisher: Forever

I have read this book before. It was actually my very first New Adult book. I had gotten it for free on my Nook and took a chance with reading it. At the time, I owned over 500 physical books and I didn't really like reading on my Nook so I don't know what drew me to this book but I am glad it happened.

The first time I read this book I have no idea that it was going to be part of a series. I just dove in and expected to read some trashy college romance novel. Instead, I found myself reading a heart-wrenching story full of pain, tragedy, real love, trust and struggles. This book goes far beyond that of your average college experience book and takes you to a place where two people would rather feel pain and loneliness than the love of someone else. It takes you into the lives of two people who have known each other for their entire lives yet neither of them know the extent of the others damage.

Normally stories that revolve around physical abuse are placed on a female protagonist. Yes, Callie was abused but not by her parents. Kayden takes the blows in this book and it is strange to see a male character as strong as him in this situation.

While reading this book you come to realize just how easily lives can change. People who have known each other for their entire lives become friends after High School. This book also makes you wonder why things happened in the timeline that they did. Why couldn't Kayden and Callie have met like this during High School? Why didn't Kayden stick up to his father sooner? There are so many questions but I enjoy the timeline the book offered me. I don't think a book should be considered a good book if it doesn't leave you wondering "What If's."

Do you think that everyone has a secret? Something that has broken them in their lifetime? Everyone in this book is broken. Seth, Kayden, Luke, Callie, everyone has something to hide in this small group of friends. I am still curious to find out what exactly Luke's issues are. I know there is something up with his home life plus the situation with his sister but the book never really goes into Luke's story.

The ending of this book SUCKS! Not in the sense that it's bad writing or a bad plot. It just sucks that it happened and it ended like that. The first time I read this book I ended up sitting on my bed for a while after I finished it just staring at my Nook. The second book wasn't out and I just couldn't believe it ended like that. So, now, a year-ish late, I have just finished the first book, with the same exact ending. Only difference is, this time, I came prepared. 

I absolutely love Jessica Sorensen's writing. She has this magical ability to place these words onto pages and they just flow so perfectly. I never catch myself looking back at the page I read wondering what happened. Everything is crisp and clearly stated. Her books are definitely ones I find myself getting completely lost in.

The one piece of advice I will give to anyone who wants to read this book is to get the second book the same time you buy the first one. You will thank me later.

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 Kitties.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei