Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Author Spotlight: Please Don't Tell by Laura Tims

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 2:00 PM
Laura Tims is the author of PLEASE DON'T TELL, coming Fall 2015 from HarperCollins.

She's a mental health advocate, a cancer, and a reasonably cute organism. She likes Tumblr, anime, Neko Atsume, Homestuck, Steven Universe, and Undertale. She likes you even more.

She writes books about strange relationships, pain, and people who are scared but good. She loves to talk and if you also love to talk, find her on Twitter @laura_tims

Title: Please Don't Tell
Genre: YA Mystery
Author: Laura Tims
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication: May 24th 2016
Cover Rating: 4/5 

Please Don't Tell is a very fast paced mystery type novel with a trigger warning for sexual assault. With that being said, if you would rather not read books with that subject then please do not pick this book up. If you are okay with reading about that subject then please DO pick this book up as it was a very quick read for me and I enjoyed trying to figure out who did what and why.

Joy is one of the twins. Joy really doesn't have a personality or anything outside of being a twin. She is kind of dull. She wants to be like her sister, smart, studious and whatever else she can think up. While reading the book I kept thinking to myself that Joy really needs to find out who she is apart from her twin sister. But towards the end of the book I found myself wondering which twin was the leader and which one was the follower.

Grace is a timid, annoying little girl. She has a lot of OCD type quirks. Her quirks work like this: If I do this a certain number of times or in a certain time frame then this will happen as a result. At first I found it a bit amusing but after a while I realized that Grace needed help. Lots of help. And I have no idea how she fooled everyone into believing that she was even remotely okay. 

I know I shouldn't, but... I actually liked Adam. Aside from what he did, he spoke the truth. He was harsh and he was tired of the bullshit life had to offer. And, honestly, the crap that happened with Grace... I am honestly not even sure it happened. This book made it hard to trust what anyone had to say. I think that is what made me like Adam. He was straight forward. But the crap with his grandfather being famous for writing a "love" song about the quarry being his house was a bit weird. Adam didn't seem like he wanted to become the music legend everything thought he would become. I would how different things would have been if his grandfather never wrote that song.

I didn't like Cassius. He was too timid and too weird and wayyyy too whipped for his own good. I mean, Jesus, he witnesses a crime and a girl got him to promise not to say anything. He was supposed to be the good guy out of his friendship with Adam but I really don't think he was much of anything. 

I almost forgot a pretty big part of the book. Levi. The step brother. I think he was hiding crap. Nothing that really had to do with Adam but still sketchy and always talk talk talking. Maybe he was making up for something or maybe he was staying with his dad for selfish reasons but in the end I didn't like him. He seemed sweet and shy and flirted a lot but he just didn't feel like he had anything going for him. I did feel bad for him with his mother being sick and his father.. well... his father being the way he was. I wouldn't have stuck around for that man. But if Levi didn't have any other motive for staying around then my next thought was he was very pliable. He was a sucker for punishment and way too soft.

I enjoyed the mystery of this book. It was a easy read and flowed very well. The author gave each character very in depth personalities and it felt like I was actually meeting the characters in person. The world was just a simple high school type setting but those are always fun books to read. The best drama happens in high school. Don't you agree?

At the end of the book I was kind of sitting here just staring at the pages. I honestly wasn't expecting it to end with this one person being the bad guy. I also kind of didn't like the end because I still have SO many questions. What happened to Adam's murderer? What happened with Levi? I am glad that Grace ended up where she did. Hopefully the rest of her life won't be so horrible now.

Overall, I gave the book 4/5 stars.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei