Wednesday, December 27, 2017

REVIEW: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir - Valeria

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 10:00 AM

Rate:

Goodreads Description:
Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

After everyone screaming their love over this series at the four winds I have finally caved in and read it annnndd... Im not so impressed.
There is so much going on in this book that it sure does make an impact and to be honest it can be realistic in those aspects because hey, life isnt sweet. I dont want to spoil which is why I avoid going into details. The writting it good, which keeps the reader entertained, the story line it self for the most part is cliche but of course, Sabaa made it her bitch and made it her own. I feel like the main part that annoyed me from this book was actually the love part of it. I dont always ship main characters, for me, they have to be done right, in a way that im envious. But this one just kind of didn't do it. I guess its because the characters are supposed to be so freaking beautiful and I dont relate to that. But hey, its refreshing that the main character doesnt think herself as basic XD that she has some self confidence.
I feel like the reason that I didnt love this bok is my own fault, for reading so many books, one after the other that offer the same plot line and in the end, the same ending. 

Recommend it?
MMMMM I do, the book isnt bad but it wasn't worth the hype for me personally.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei