Thursday, February 1, 2018

REVIEW: Otherworld by Jason Segel and Kristen Miller - Jenn

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:00 AM

SYNOPSIS:

The company says Otherworld is amazing—like nothing you’ve ever seen before. They say it’s addictive—that you’ll want to stay forever. They promise Otherworld will make all your dreams come true.

Simon thought Otherworld was a game. Turns out he knew nothing. Otherworld is the next phase of reality. It’s everything you’ve ever wanted.

And it’s about to change humanity forever.
Welcome to the Otherworld. No one could have seen it coming.



DNF at 85%.

So. This book. Yeah, this one that I have had an ARC of since a week before its publication. I didn't like it. I set it aside in hope that I could pick it up and enjoy it while I was in a different, maybe improved, mindset. For the record, I tried--I really, truly, with my entire being tried to get through this book. Normally if a book has an interesting story and poor writing, I can overlook what I don't like and get through (Susan Ee's angel/demon trilogy that I suddenly can't name; darn Christmas brain). Same goes for a meh story and great writing (ahem, The Hazel Wood is the perfect example). Otherworld, unfortunately, fell short on both accounts: the writing is mediocre at best, and the story suffered from the same predicament. 

I know a few people who really enjoyed it and said they listened to the audiobook, so maybe that medium helped them to better enjoy it. (I think Jason Segel narrates it?) Regardless, I never enjoy an audiobook more than I do reading the physical book, so I don't think my mind would have changed.

Realizing my level of enjoyment wasn't going to improve beyond my meh, sometimes irritated, perception, I knew it was time to nix it, mark it read (85%--you betcha I am going to count this one toward my reading goal after forcing myself through that much!), and move onto a book that I am more likely to enjoy.

Also, anyone else get vibes that this one was trying to follow up in the shadow of Warcross? Maybe just me? I don't know; I am possibly thinking a little too much into this...

You can see all of Jenn's reviews on her Goodreads.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei