Monday, February 15, 2016

Review: This Raging Light by Estelle Laure

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM
Title: This Raging Light
Author: Estelle Laure
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Publication: December 22nd 2015
Cover Rating: 5/5

This Raging Light is an amazing book. I thought it was going to be a fluffy, contemporary YA book but it is so much more. 

Lucille is brave as hell. Not many people would be able to do what she did if they were in here shoes. She became the adult and took care of her little sister. She stepped up and made sure that they could keep living their lives all while going through emotional turmoil and a lot of confusion. If I was ever put in a situation like this I can only hope that I would be as strong as Lucille was.

Wren was an amazing little sister throughout the book. She was, sadly, forced to grow up too quickly but she didn't complain and she was pretty good. I do think she will have some issues in the future. Maybe a fear of abandonment? 

I really liked Eden. She was very peppy and full of positive energy. I think the friendship between Eden and Lucille was great! It just sucks that what happened DID happen. Hopefully everything will be okay in the end.

I don't know how I feel about Digby. Normally you swoon over the male love interest but I feel like we really didn't get to know him. I still have no idea why Lucille felt so compelled to be with him. I think it was the "best friends brother" syndrome that you see in some books. 

I do not condone what happened between Digby and Lucille throughout the book. It was cheating and I despise that. But Digby did the right thing in the end. I cannot say the same for Lucille. She was pretty evil about the situation. Saying to herself all these things about wanting Digby no matter what. Either way, I think they belong together despite the way they got to that point.

I liked the job Lucille got. It wasn't exactly practical to the real world, unless you live in a ritzy area or its an expensive restaurant, but it was nice. The people she worked with were helpful with her situation and treated Wren very nice. Her boss was a good guy too. He liked girls in sexy clothes but he was actually a genuinely good guy.

The guardian angel thing was such an amazing aspect of the book. It just shows that there is still some good left in this horrible world. I can honestly say that I didn't expect the do-gooders to be who they were. I mean it should have been obvious but it played out really well.

The ending was kind of left open. Did Eden wake up? I prefer to think that she did and everything was happily ever after. So I am just going to stick to that frame of mind. Did their mother come back? Did their father finally get better? Will Lucille get to live her life outside of being Wren's caregiver? Just so many questions and things to think about.

Overall, I gave the book 4.5/5 stars.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei