Thursday, August 25, 2016

REVIEW: The Elite by Kiera Cass

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 12:00 PM
Title: The Elite
Genre: Dystopian YA
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication: April 23rd 2013
Cover Rating: 5/5

The Elite starts pretty much exactly where The Selection ended but I would tell that this book was going to a bit more serious and intense just with how it started. The book took on a different tone from page 1 and I had no idea what I was in store for.

Even though The Selection series is this guilty pleasure book for so many readers, there are still a lot of moments I sat here wondering WHAT IF. What if the United States Didn't exist anymore. Would there be a time when people really had no idea what Halloween was? Would computers become obsolite? This book brings up so many questions that I am not sure if anyone really wants the answers to. It also brings up things that COULD happen. Things with the US and China. Building a fiction book that is based off of some real facts can get really scary.

I think the best way to describe this series is to imagine the Unite States, years in the future, but all of the things we have now are pretty much gone. I think I would compare some of the events in this book to WWII. There are banned books and woman seem to be right back where they started with their rights to vote or join that military. This book is the United States in the future but it is also how we were in the past. We have mad so much progress in equality and rights but it can all be taken away. Just because we are free right now doesn't mean that can't change.

One thing this book did make me realize is, knowing a series has a sequel is a spoiler on its own. Like knowing that the next book is called The One and these books are told from Amerca's perspective leads me to believe that America will always be around. It sucks but it's also nice to know because with how The Elite ended I had no idea how this would play out. I do wish I had the suspense of not knowing but knowing more books are out there kind of just gives it away.

Overall, I gave this book 4.5/5 stars.



1 comments:

iLuvReadingTooMuch on August 26, 2016 at 1:24 AM said...

I really enjoyed this series, and I’m glad you are too. It’s definitely a guilty pleasure! I still need to read books 4 & 5 though, so there’s that to look forward to :) Great review!!

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei