Monday, September 29, 2014

Mini Review Monday[22] Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 11:00 AM










Another great book written by the wonderful author Laurie Halse Anderson. 

Where to start. She wrote the character, Lia very believably. We got to see what someone battling anorexia goes through and how they think. How they are counting calories and how they are going to lose them. 

Not only do we get the side of someone battling anorexia, but we also see how mental illness can affect someone. How family can make someone feel. Lia's family made her feel ignored and not a person and we got to see what that can do to a person. It's different for everyone. But it does mess up a person, whether it affects them with anorexia or depression or some other mental illness, but it does affect them. Seeing Lia struggle the way she does with her family and how it has affected her makes me want to be in my career that much more so I can help all who are suffering and get them to get better. 

That's another thing that popped up. You can't force treatment or force someone to get better. They have to have to want to get better or nothing will work we saw that through Lia. She got to the point of dying until she realized she doesn't want to die that she wants to be alive and that's that made her finally start to get better. 

Everything gets worse before things better. You are the only person who can make a change for yourself not anyone else. It will still be a struggle for Lia to get better, but with her wanting to get better she will be working hard to do so. 

I really liked the character Elijah. He wasn't in the story much, but I did like when he was in it. I was really hoping that Lia and Elijah would get together and he would be there to support her, but I'm glad he did what he did because I think he did help in a way for doing so. 

I'm glad I finally got around to reading this one. I really enjoyed it. 

One quote I loved was: "There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever. There are only small steps upward; an easier day, an unexpected laugh, a mirror that doesn't matter anymore. I am thawing." This quote really touched me with what I have been going through. I can't want to read more by her.

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei