Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Release Day Review: This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:51 PM
Title: This Adventure Ends
Genre: Contemporary YA
Author: Emma Mills
Publisher: Henry Holt
Publication: October 4th 2016
Cover Rating: 9000/5


 Contemporary YA books normally don't get much praise from me.I feel like they are the same cookie-cutter, copy & paste stories. Don't  get me wrong, I do have my GO TO authors if I want to read something fluffy after a fantasy book, but most just fall flat for me. Girl moves, girl meets boy, parents get divorced, girl acts out or turns inward and ignores everyone, boy changes girls life forever, etc... Yes, this book does have a few of the well know tropes BUT it is also something entirely different on its own.

Sloane was awesome. She had a ton of quirks and people loved her instantly. But she used her sarcasm and witty sense of humor to protect herself. I am not sure what led her to be this guarded. I don't even think she knows the answer to that. But she is a great daughter and sister. She tries to be a great friend but her guarded personality kind of got in the way. 

Sloane's dad was an author. A pretty famous one too. He moves his family to Florida as a way to start over and clear his head so maybe he will be able to write another book. His last book was kind of torn apart by a critics review. I think what he did was kind of selfish and his new book idea once he was there long enough to get an idea was pretty bad too considering the fact that he used someone close to him to "inspire" the book and characters. Even with all the flaws he was still a good dad that just wanted to keep writing because it was his passion. I do wonder if he ever published that book though. 

Vera and Gabe are the first people that befriend Sloane, besides Bree. They are eccentric to say the least but I loved both of them. Then with Vera and Gabe came Remy, Aubrey, and Frank. These guys were so great together and Frank was perfection. I really loved that he was the person who made the parties special. 

So, as stated above, tropes are what I feel kills the Contemporary genre for me. This book, however, has some of those tropes but it works around them and changes them. The tropes aren't what drives the book. Parents getting a divorce and just calling it quits? This book shows people trying to work it out instead of taking a kid and moving 500 miles away. Girl meets boy? Why, yes, girl does meet boy but it isn't some insta-love bullcrap. It is cute and believable. I really love that this book feels believable. 

There was some childish behavior towards the end of the book. But these are teenagers so it was appropriate. It all got worked out for the most part so that made them really mature. Most books where teens fight you see nothing but revenge and grudge holding. 

The end was sort of predictable. I didn't predict those exact events but the outcome was still the same for me. I really enjoyed the ending but I do wish there was a little bit more time to see how Sloane and her boytoy got along. They were cute together though. It sucks that they couldn't get that one thing back that was a big part of the plot but it also helped Sloane to realize that sometimes, words speak louder than actions. 

AHHH!! There is so much more I want to say about this book but I can't spoil it for you guys. Just know that Emma Mills is now an auto-buy author for me. She had been added to the super elite contemporary books list.

Overall. I gave the book 5/5 stars.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei