Wednesday, December 11, 2013

REVIEW: Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:57 PM
Title: Pushing The Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Format: Hardback
Source: Bought
Publisher:Harlequin Teen

REVIEW: I checked this book out from the library two months ago and it suffered the syndrome of I don't want to read it because I don't own it. Yes, that is real. At least to me it is. But then I found this book at a used book store and I grabbed it and ran off into the sunset with it. Yes, that also was real considering the sun was setting when we left the store.

Oh, Noah... Where for art thou, Noah. He was amazing. The pot smoking would have turned me off though. But aside from his bad habits he was a great guy with actual morals, at least when it came to Echo. Before Echo... Well.. That is an entirely different story.

I REALLY loved Echo. She was strong even though she had been through so much. Losing two family members in such a short period of time and becoming physically scarred should really screw with someone. But she managed to keep up with school even though she became somewhat of a recluse. And if she wasn't a recluse before she sure as hell would have been after Noah. I find it funny that the people who actually have good intentions are the ones who get bullied or shunned in High School while the slutty, rich people are pushed to the top. This world is a messed up place.

This is also another one of those books where I want to strangle the parent. Echo's father was a real piece of work. In my opinion he was a shattered vase that was swept up and thrown in a furnace and melted back together. He was shattered but hid behind his daughters pain and problems. And banging the babysitter and then marrying her and "replacing" his dead son aren't exactly role model choices. He pushed Echo too far and I am glad she broke free of that.

Echo's mom on the other hand was the one who broke that vase and put it into the furnace. But at least she had a mental disorder so that was her excuse. The father has no excuse for his actions.

Echo was born into this life, Noah wasn't. Noah was a product of unfortunate events. Echo was in a way too but she was still born into her problems. Noah's problems didn't start until after his parents were gone.

This book was pretty much perfection when it comes to contemporary YA with these kinds of situations. I think the author wrote the book beautifully and she really captured the essence of the teenage heart.

Overall, I gave the book 4/5 Kitties.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei