Sunday, September 1, 2013

REVIEW City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 8:37 PM
Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Publisher: McElderry Books


REVIEW: Let me first say that I have owned this book for about five years. I bought it back around the time that I bought the Twilight books BEFORE they became over-hyped. I also READ it five years ago right after I read Twilight. Now, a lot has happened in my life in the five years its been since I read this book and I can definitely say with age comes new perspectives. I don't remember the book being like this and that isn't a bad thing. The only thing I do remember from reading this five years ago was that I kept thinking THIS BOOK would become a movie. Not Twilight. I wasn't entirely wrong. But I just strongly felt that this should have been a movie long before Twilight.

Clary is one of those whiny characters that enrage me. She is that female heroin that everyone wants to smack and say STFU to but I also think she is what makes the book worth reading. Because without her whiny, damsel in distress personality I don't think Jace would have felt the need to always save her, thus, causing the romance between them to be pretty much non-existent. So I am grateful for that.

Jace is also one of those characters you just want to smack. He seems to be messing with Clary's mind and it also seems like he doesn't know what he wants either. He is overly stubborn and thinks he can take on the world.

Alec is a total butt wipe. I have other choice words for him but I want to keep this clean. He is too stuck up his own butt to care about anyone else but himself. He has a huge thing for Jace but being gay is apparently taboo in their "culture". Not that Jace would return the feelings...

Isabelle is pretty kick-ass. She likes to use guys and then rip their hearts out. She is an awesome fighter and she cares deeply for her brother. She also doesn't seem stuck up and prissy like most "hot" girls in YA books.

I really thought Hodge was a good guy. I never expected him to turn bad. I truly thought he loved the kids and wanted to help them.

I really enjoyed the little bit of romance between Clary and Jace. It didn't seem rushed or anything. I actually didn't expect it to happen so it was definitely a good surprise. The references to "incest" that I have been hearing complaints about are completely pointless. I don't mind it at all. It helps build the story and its not like they grew up together knowing they were related.

I'm not sure how I feel about Jocelyn lying to Clary her whole life and "erasing" her memory every two years. I understand Jocelyn thought she was helping her daughter but I think she should have told her to truth just as Valentine should have told Jace the truth.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and the character building was pretty good. The relationships between characters didn't seem forced or rushed and everything seemed to fit together well. The action was spread throughout the book and not just bunched up at the end. I gave the book 4/5 kitties.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei