Thursday, June 22, 2017

Author Spotlight: In a Perfect World by Trish Doller + Interview

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 4:30 PM

I have been writing for as long as I can remember, but didn't try to be a published author until more recently, something for which everyone should be thankful.

I was born in Berlin, Germany (when there was still a wall), but grew up in Ohio and graduated with a degree in journalism from Ohio State University. I've worked as a radio personality on a morning show and as a journalist for my hometown newspaper. Along the way, I married someone really awesome and followed him around the country from Maine to Michigan and back to Ohio. We also had a couple of kids who have grown into outstanding human beings.
These days I live, work, and sail in Florida with a relentlessly optimist border collie and an ex-pirate, but have dreams of running away to Grenada and never coming back.

For more information, or to follow any of her social media accounts please check out her website here.


Title: In a Perfect World
Genre: Contemporary YA
Author: Trish Doller
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication: May 23rd 2017
Cover Rating: 5/5

Contemporary books are the one genre that I am ruthless with when it comes to rating. There are just so many books and it's hard to find any that truly stand out among the ranks. It's not that any of the books are bad or the authors are horrible, no, it's because there are only so many ways you can twist a contemporary story before it becomes impossible to tell a story that hasn't been told. Going in to In A Perfect World, I was afraid I wouldn't love the book. I know the author is amazing but I always go into contemporary books with a little apprehension. The book is set in Egypt so that was another thing that worried me. Would it be written well? Would I even like reading about someone's life after moving to Egypt? Turns out, I liked the book a whole lot and the author did an amazing job, at least I think she did, on this book.

Characters:
Caroline
Her mom - An Opthamologist
Her dad - A tug boat driver
Hannah - Best Friend
Adam - Romantic Interest
Owen - Ex BF


Plot:
The overall plot of the book is pretty simplistic. Caroline's mother gets offered her dream job for a company that provides eye care in places where medical facilities aren't very common or affordable. Caroline will spend her summer and her senior year in Egypt learning a new culture and getting to know new people. The last thing she expected to find in Egypt is love. Especially in a place where women are treated so horribly and it is forbidden to love outside of your religion/belief system. So, you better bet your butt I was rooting for this relationship to work out. The love interest was such a great guy. He introduced Caroline to all the wonderful parts of his life and he showed her that even though there is so much violence, there is also beauty.

There is a lot of violence and unrest amoung the Islamic population so things like suicide bombings and car bombings are very common things that happen to American health facilities. Events like this are what end up putting Caroline's future at risk.

I feel like the author definitely did her homework with this book. I, personally, knew nothing about Muslin and Islamic culture or their beliefs other than what the media has told me. I am not very big on news so I take everything with a grain of salt. But the way the author wrote this book helped me to understand things a little bit better. Example being; I had no idea Egyptian's were Muslim. I also had no idea Islam was as old as it is(this part coming more from the fact that I did some history googling while reading the book). My ignorance has become a tad bit smaller after reading this book and I truly appreciate the author doing such a good job bringing the culture to life. This book definitely opened my eyes up to the horrible things that happened every day in this world. It has left a lasting impression in my mind and I am grateful for that. 

World Building:
I never thought I would want to visit Egypt. When I was young I had an Egyptian Sunday School teacher. Her name was Mrs. Mona and I loved her so very much. I think growing up with her helped me be more accepting of different cultures and just people in general. Reading this book and having the author describe everything so vividly made me remember the stories Ms. Mona used to tell me and it made me miss her dearly. The author really brought Egypt to life for me and I felt like I was there when Caroline and her mother went to the pyramids for the first time. When the author spoke of the heat and smells I felt the heat and smelled the scents. 

In the end, this book broke my heart and then put it back together. It also educated me

Overall, I gave the book 4.5/5 stars.




1) What are 5 random facts about you?

1. I eat my m&ms by color preference, least to best: blue, brown, red, yellow, green, orange.
2. My favorite movie is "In America".
3. If I had to eat only one thing for the rest of my life, it would be sushi.
4. The only other language I can speak is German. Not well, but I'm practicing.
5. I am INFP on the Myers-Briggs and most people are surprised to find out that I am an introvert.

2) If you weren't an author, what would your dream job be?

I think I'd like to be a docent in a natural history or an art museum. There's not much, if any, money in that, but money's never been my primary objective anyway.

3) Have you been to Egypt?

I haven't, but it's on my list of travel destinations. 

4) What is your favorite book in the entire world?

 My favorite book is Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar. I own both the US and UK versions, as well as the ebook version, and I read it at least once a year.

5) How many books have you written in total and which one was you favorite to write? 

I've written six books in total, four of which have been published. The first was trunked after it didn't sell, making Something Like Normal my debut. Between The Devil You Know and In a Perfect World, I wrote an adult novel, which has been my favorite (so far) to write. I don't know if it will ever be published, but I hope so.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei