Friday, June 2, 2017

REVIEW: The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett by Chelsea Sedoti - 3.5 stars

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 11:00 AM
Title: The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
Genre: YA Contemporary/Mental health
Author: Chelsea Sedoti
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication: January 3rd 2017
Cover Rating: 3/5

I requested a review copy of The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett from the publisher. I received a copy and I attempted to read the book so I could review it when it came out. Sadly, I had to put the book down. I just wasn't clicking with the authors writing style or the main character. I did, however, end up picking the book back up recently and I am glad I put it down before because I am sure it would have gotten a lower rating than what I am giving it now. Please understand, this book has a good bit to do with mental health so if you are triggered by any form of self-harm, please do not pick this book up.

Hawthorne was portrayed as being this super unique girl that didn't have to try hard to stand out or be different. From her name to her personality, she was supposed to be quirky. Sadly, I did not see her this way. I saw a mentally disturbed little girl that was involving herself in situations she had no right being involved in.

Enzo was an older, more messed up version of Hawthorne. He was older to the point that he should have known better to get involved with Hawthorne and her Werewolf delusions, let alone anything physical/romantic. I want to believe that he didn't take advantage of her, I really do, but with how the book ended, I can't help but think he did and he deserves whatever horrible things life gives him.

Lizzie might be in the title but the book was shockingly not about her as much as you would like to think. She disappeared. She was so well loved when she went to school in the area that everyone goes nuts trying to find her. Sadly, her story was not at all what I was expecting. Just because someone is popular and everyone loves them doesn't mean they love themselves. Remember that.

The school environment Hawthorne was exposed to was horrendous. The bullying and teasing just because someone didn't conform was depressing. Even though I found Hawthorne to be rather ordinary, I did like her because she didn't let people talk her out of the silly things she liked and believed in. She was a pretty strong girl given the circumstances.

In the end, I think I was kind of left heartbroken and disappointed that nothing ended up happening with the whole brothers best friend thing. I was really hoping that would have helped Hawthorne see how bad Enzo really was for her. But hey, not my book, not my characters. I just get the sit here and accept the things I cannot change.

Overall, I gave the book 3/5 stars.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei