Monday, February 18, 2019

Mini Review: Dry by Neal+Jarrod Shusterman - 4.5 stars

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:00 AM
Title: Dry
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Author: Neal + Jarrod Shusterman
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication: October 2nd 2018
Cover Rating: 3/5
Reading format: Owned Hardback

Dry by Neal and Jarrod Shusterman is a book about California without water. It is a pretty realistic representation of how people would be if water all of a sudden wasn't available anymore. 

Alyssa is the main character for this book. As a whole, we really don't get to know her very well, she is just the face chosen to represent this plot-driven story and even though we don't really get to know her, she is still a good main character to ride along with.

Now what I mean when I say "plot-driven story" is that this event could have been told through anyone's eyes that was going through this drought and we still would have understood what the author was trying to portray. We might have gotten to see different personal events and endings but the overall plot would have been the same. But I am glad we got to see things through Alyssa because we got to see many sides to the story, we got to see many different people and how they were all dealing with no water. Alyssa was also a very strong individual and I appreciated her viewpoint on things. 

This book showed us the desperation and violence that can occur when people know they are in danger. It is even worse when there are mass amounts of people who know they are in danger. It turns into every man for himself and things quickly go downhill. Almost all shreds of humanity disappear and we get to see exactly how people would react in a crisis and it is not pretty. It pretty much shows that we, as the human race, would have a hard time fending for ourselves without the luxury of being supplied all the essentials for our needs. Hungry? Go to the store. Need water? Grab a bottle that you bought from the store. 

In the end, I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this book. I have never actually read anything by Neal Shusterman but I own a lot of his books. I'm also not sure what made me pick this book up first but I am glad I did. I enjoyed this book enough but I feel like his books can only get better from here. But, a book about no water? You better bet I was drinking water while reading it. This book was scary but I think it was pretty impactful because IT CAN HAPPEN.

Overall, I gave the book 4.5/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei