Saturday, February 9, 2019

REVIEW: Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh - Paige

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:00 AM
Disclaimer: I bought this on my birthday last year! No disclaimer, just bragging.
Rating: 
Publication Date: January 23, 2018
Genre: YA Fantasy
Recommended Age: 15+ (violence, undead, death, and facing one’s fears).
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 375
Synopsis: 
Odessa is one of Karthia’s master necromancers, catering to the kingdom’s ruling Dead. Whenever a noble dies, it’s Odessa’s job to raise them by retrieving their souls from a dreamy and dangerous shadow world called the Deadlands. But there is a cost to being raised–the Dead must remain shrouded, or risk transforming into zombie-like monsters known as Shades. If even a hint of flesh is exposed, the grotesque transformation will begin.
A dramatic uptick in Shade attacks raises suspicions and fears among Odessa’s necromancer community. Soon a crushing loss of one of their own reveals a disturbing conspiracy: someone is intentionally creating Shades by tearing shrouds from the Dead–and training them to attack. Odessa is faced with a terrifying question: What if her necromancer’s magic is the weapon that brings Karthia to its knees?

So I bought this book originally because it had a skull on it and mentioned necromancy. I’ve been in love with necromancy since I read Sabriel by Garth Nix and I’ll say that while both concepts are totally different, I’m in love with both books. This book was well written and the plot was intriguing. I was intrigued by the book throughout its entirety. The characters were all complex and I loved that the book wasn’t predictable and the book didn’t have such a simple ending. The book also introduced a terrifying concept in which by burning all books and halting the advancement of technology they were literally stuck in their past… the point is kinda driven home with all the undead lol. Also, amazing LGBT representation in this book!
The only issue I had was that I wanted Odessa to have a happy ending and I wanted so much for her. But that’s what the second book is for!
Verdict: Undead rocks!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei