Sunday, March 23, 2014

REVIEW: Divergent Movie {SPOILERS}

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 6:01 PM

So I went to see Divergent today, March 23rd, and I was pleasantly surprised. Normally when I go to see a book to movie adaptation I will lean over in my chair and tell my boyfriend whats wrong and what was changed. But not this time. There were definitely some changes but they didn't bother me enough to ignite a rage inside of me like most movies have.

Now a few things did bug me. The first being that Edwards character was never shown and was only mentioned once. We didn't get to see the knife scene or anything. I am curious and worried about how this will effect Insurgent if they decide to make it into a movie. Edward played a huge page in Insurgent.

Aside from Edward there are only a few other minor things I can think of that were omitted/changed.

The second this was minor but Four's eye were supposed to be blue. That is mentioned MANY times in the book. Don't get me wrong, Theo is a pretty hot guy but they could have put blue contacts on him or something.

The "paintball" scene got changed to being neuro-stimulating "bullets" that felt like you were actually being shot.

Then there was the scene towards the end where Tris's mom saves her. In the movie she was not in a water tank. She was taken outside and was about to be shot Holocaust style.

Will's hair was not blonde nor did Tris shoot him in the head. And I pictured Christina as a bigger girl. I know she was bigger than Tris but in the movie she is A LOT smaller.

There was also no hard drive stolen at the end. The entire simulation was deleted by the Erudite leader, Jeanine.

Now onto the things I liked and disliked.

I loved Shailene Woodley as Tris. She really captured Tris's character and brought her to life. I do think she was too pretty to play the role though. Tris was supposed to be plain and Shailene is anything but.

After I got over Theo not having blue eyes I really did like him as Four. He was tough and just had the perfect "Four" feeling going on.

Jai Courtney played Eric pretty well. I would have liked to see him be a bit more aggressive and mean.

I loved that I got emotionally involved in the movie. I almost cried a few times. I saw some people were writing that the movie wasn't emotional and that makes me wonder what movie they saw because it obviously wasn't the same one I saw.

I didn't like how the attack on Abnegation was made to look like the Holocaust. Yes, Jeanine could be seen as a female version of Hitler in the book but The attack on Abnegation wasn't because of what they were it was because of Jeanine thinking they were doing wrong and didn't deserve to rule the people.

I did, however, like Kate Winslet as Jeanine. She seems very good at portraying characters that think they are better than everyone else, i.e. Titanic.

I can't really think of anything else that I didn't like. Well, Aside from Peter, but that can't be helped.

Overall I gave the movie two ratings. The first rating is a 4.5 for Book to Movie Adaptation. The second is a 5 just for the overall movie.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei