Thursday, May 10, 2018

Author Spotlight: Airports, Exes, and Other Things I'm Over by Shani Petroff + Interview

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:00 AM

Shani Petroff is a writer living in New York City. She's the author of the “Bedeviled” series, which includes Daddy’s Little Angel, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Dress, Careful What You Wish For, and Love Struck, and is the co-author of Ash. She also writes for television news programs and several other venues. When she’s not locked in her apartment typing away, she spends a whole lot of time on books, boys, TV, daydreaming, and shopping online.

Title: Airports, Exes and Other Things I'm Over
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Author: Shani Petroff
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Publication: May 15th 2018
Cover Rating: 4/5
Reading format: Provided ARC

Airports, Exes, and Other Things I'm Over by Shani Petroff is a Young Adult Contemporary novel about a girl who is supposed to go to Florida on Spring Break with her boyfriend but... the night before they are set to board the plane she catches him cheating on her. It's too late to change their plans so they both still head to Florida and a lot of things unfold during their crazy trip. This book is supposed to be about Spring Break but I can tell you it is definitely a great summer-time read as well!

Sari is about to go on a very romantic trip with her boyfriend Zev to Florida. It's Spring Break and they are going under the guise of visiting relatives. This sounds like an extremely fun and exciting trip, right? Well, it might have been if Sari wouldn't have caught Zev cheating on her the night before they were set to leave. It's too late to cancel their plans so Sari decides to catch an earlier plan to avoid seeing him. 

When Sari gets to Florida she goes straight to her grandmother's house where she hides out for a few days before her grandmother forces her to stop moping. Her grandmother sends her to the pool where she meets Fitz, a pretty hot college guy that she dubs Captain America.

While Sari is hanging out with Fitz, she gets a message saying she has been accepted to play at a club back home. She is so ecstatic and must find a way home early! Problem is, a big storm is coming and a lot of flights are being canceled or delayed. The bigger problem is, Zev ends up stuck at the airport with Sari. The solution is, Fitz happens to be stuck too and he is from NYC as well and has a friend who could meet them at the Boston airport and drive them home. Next problem is, Sari's mother won't let her go with Fitz unless Zev goes with them. SUPER MEGA AWKWARD!

Throughout the book, I found that I really liked Sari as a female character. She was VERY strong and knew what she wanted out of life at such a young age. She was not stupid or love crazy or willing to do whatever just to keep her cheating boyfriend. Zev was cut loose instantly and that proved how headstrong Sari was. The ending though, had me a little upset though.

In the end, this book is the perfect contemporary to pick up if you are looking for something quick. It, however, is not a book to pick up if you dislike situations where cheating is brought up whether the person did it or not. I personally didn't like how the book ended and how easily Sari was to believe things. Anyone could say they didn't do something. But you shouldn't just blindly believe them. The Ending is why I knocked my rating down. Otherwise, I entirely enjoyed the book!

Overall, I gave the book 4/5 stars.

1) When did you first realize that you wanted to be an author?
I always liked writing as a kid, but I didn’t truly think about being an author until a few years after college. I started working in a TV newsroom (I actually still freelance there), and while there were a lot of opportunities to write, it was all factual. I missed using my imagination, so I signed up for a YA/ middle-grade fiction writing class, and the rest is history!

2) Do you have any hobbies?
Writing! But I also love improv and acting. Getting to do the audiobooks for Airports, Exes, and Other Things I’m Over, My New Crush Gave to Me, and Romeo & What’s Her Name, while technically work, didn’t feel like it! I love anything performance related.

3) Did you listen to any special songs that helped you write or inspired you?
When I write, I don’t usually listen to music, I tend to like it quiet (or there to be nondescript background noise where you can’t really make anything out). However, after the book was done, I found a lot of songs that I think work well with it. Here are a few: Ariana Grande – No Tears Left To Cry, Taylor Swift – Teardrops On My Guitar, Demi Lovato – Sorry Not Sorry, 5 Seconds of Summer – Want You Back, and Ne-Yo – So Sick.

4) What’s your favorite line/quote in Airplanes, Exes and Other Things I'm Over? 
My favorite line is actually at the very end, but I don’t want to give any spoilers!

5) Are you currently working on anything new?
I am! It’s a new book called Finding Mr. Better-Than- You about a girl who gets dumped at the start of senior year and is determined to find someone who is so much better than her ex.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei