Tuesday, February 3, 2015

REVIEW: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM
Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication: October 23rd 2012
Cover Rating: 3/5


The ending of book one had me on such a book hangover that I had to continue the series instead of reading books for other things. I finished the first book and read half of the second one in less than 5 hours. 

Mara is STRONG. No one believes her, except Noah, and everything tries to tell her that everything will be okay when it obviously won't be.

This book is pretty much centered around Mara's mental health breaking down and a lot of psych wards that she has to try and work her way out of.

Let me just say that Michelle Hodkin has NO qualms about murdering her characters. A slit throat here, a slash wrist there. And she is very bloody about it. I don't think one person has died that wasn't totally gruesome except one person in the first book.  

I really hated that everyone thought Mara was insane. They didn't even give her a chance. Just the first sign of ANYTHING abnormal and someone is automatically insane. I know NO circumstances are like Mara's but it still bothers me that even her family didn't listen to her. AND after she was labeled "insane" everything she said from that point on was thrown out the window and label delusional. But then again, Jude was the reasoning being most of this and it just shows how easily one person can ruin your reputation and your life.

If this were a Beauty and the Beast retelling, Mara would be the Beast and Noah would be Belle. Only in this version, Mara's curse isn't reversible. 

I have decided that Mara Dyer will be my first real fandom. I fell HARD for Noah Shaw. Damn British accent and blue eyes. Swoooon. Plus Mara and Noah's relationship isn't PERFECT. They just love each other enough to take on the world.

The end of the book is one hell of a mind blowing situation. Like, what? Are you serious? You CAN'T end a book like that! You just can't. This is one of those books where I want to have WARNING! CLIFFHANGER ENDING stickers made up and put them on the books. 

The best way for these books to impact you would be if you read them back to back. I feel that I wouldn't have loved the characters or the story as much if I would have had to wait for the next book. The story just changes to fast and I felt the need to keep reading until it was finished.

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei