Thursday, February 5, 2015

REVIEW: The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM
Title: The Retribution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication: November 4th 2014
Cover Rating: 4/5
I feel like The Retribution of Mara Dyer was rushed. There could have been two books made out of this one and they both could have been 400+ pages. Everything just seemed really pushed out and thrown together and that kind of made the book hard to read. And the fact that this book took over a year to come out makes it even more unacceptable to me.

After the second book the series took a completely different turn. I didn't like the turn very much but I was wondering where the series was going after the second book. 

There were not a lot of answers given. Just a lot of information thrown at me and even more questions piling up. Was it VooDoo? Some other ancient Indian religion? WHAT WAS IT?

Mara become someone I really didn't like as the book progressed. She turned into a cold, murderous villain. I understand she was upset and wanted to find Noah but trying to kill those boys because they were being assholes wasn't enough to warrant murder in my book. The rapist truck driver guy was warranted and I also believe that Stella should have been a little more understanding of Mara. They were ALL "special" but Stella ran away at first chance she could find an excuse. She is also one of the unanswered questions. 

Not only are we thrown into flashbacks of Mara's grandmother but towards the end of the book we are given duel POV's between Noah and Mara along with the flashbacks. 

The intimate scene at the end was a little too over played and dramatic. I know they waited almost three entire books to consummate their obsession with each other but it was back and forth POV's that contained four paragraphs. 

I still stand my ground when I say I love Noah Shaw and the first two books were great. But as stated above I truly feel like the book was rushed. The ending was abrupt and we don't really get a whole hell of a lot of answers. And after the Twilight Zone beginning to the book I kind of expected a lot more than what was given to me.

I want to know what happens with Mara's family. What about Noah's dad? Was there a big cover up for Dr. Kells and all the deaths of the kids? I just want to scream because I have NO answers to some of the biggest questions.

Overall, I gave the book a 4/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei