Friday, October 16, 2015

Horrorween Review: Catacomb by Madeleine Roux

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM

Title: Catacomb
Author: Madeleine Roux
Publisher: Harper
Publication: September 1st 2015
Cover Rating: 4/5


I have been sitting on this review for weeks now. I read Catacombs the week it came out in order to finish up the trilogy so I could be done with the books. I have a love/hate relationship with these books. I remember disliking the first one, the story was a great idea but I didn't like the way the author executed the book. I read the second one and it was a bit better but I still felt like it wasn't the right book for me. So, reading the third book was something I subconsciously decided to do in order to say, Yeah, I read that trilogy. But I had no idea writing the review for this book would be so hard.

Daniel is back, obviously. He has graduated and has decided to go on a toad trip down the East Coast to help Jordan get to his uncles house. The entire time I was reading the book I couldn't help but think if Daniel just stayed put he wouldn't have ran into so many of these issues. But they again, he never would have found out about his family history or his birth parents. So its a rock and a hard spot situation, like it is in all of the books in the trilogy. 

Abby is annoying in this book. I used to somewhat like her before but she just became a hemorrhoid in this book. Dragging the guys all over the place to take pictures and that acting like an ungrateful brat. Also, her and Dan were supposed to be "dating" and there was NO emotion or love or anything that led me to believe that they were in any kind of romantic relationship.

Jordan was his annoying self. He didn't change much but he did become a bit angrier? He got mad easier and didn't take as much crap as he did in the first two books. 

These books are meant to be spooky and mysterious. There is always some sort of adventure or something that needs to be solves but I just felt like the books were lacking. They were just meh reads for me. I actually really wanted to like them. I loved the pictures and the ideas the book was based on but I feel like it should have been scarier or more brutal or SOMETHING. I can't quite name what I feel is missing but I definitely feel it.

I loved the whole New Orleans aspect of the book. I have always wanted to go there. I will say that out of the 3 books that this one was probably the creepiest because I know how creepy New Orleans is and I could picture the group actually down there searching for stuff. 

The ending made me soooo angry. It was a cliffhanger! A cliffhanger for the last book in a trilogy. I mean, I guess if you have no interest in learning about Dan's parents then the book ended fine. But I had questions. 

Overall, I gave the book 3.5/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei