Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Horrorween Reviews: Welcome to the Dark House

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM

Title: Welcome to the Dark House
Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Publisher: Hyperion
Publication: July 22nd 2014
Cover Rating: 5/5
Goodreads | Amazon

Welcome to the Dark House is such an intense, amazing book. I has said before that there aren't enough YA horror books out there but the ones that are have been rather good. This book is probably at the top of the list for murder/thriller. For the first 200 or so pages I literally couldn't put the book down.

The book is entirely centered around this horror film genius and his movies and a contest that these people entered thinking they would get to meet Justin Blake and see a premiere of his newest creation. I loved this concept. I am a huge horror movie buff. I have been watching horror movies since I was 7 or so. So, kind of like the character in the book, Garth, except I'm not annoying and trying to hide my actual fear.

Ivy is pretty much the main character even though the book rotates through every contestants point of view. Her parents were murdered but she was spared because she called the cops. Now she is living her life in constant fear and just wants to grow a pair. So she enters the Nightmare Elf contest to try and gain some.

The only other character I liked, besides Ivy, was Parker. The romance between the two of them was kind of weird. Let's just say that these were a bunch of horny teenagers/early 20's and they fell for each other fast. There was a lot of drama and "romance" going on in the beginning. The only pair that lasted was Ivy and Parker, though. 

I hated Garth, I hated Shayla, I didn't like Frankie too much and Natalie was pretty cool aside from being a freak of nature. Garth was a dick and he was hiding behind fear. He thought he was this super brave guy but he was really just a pansy. Even though I hated Garth, Hid nightmare was probably the best one. Frankie wasn't TOO bad but he was just another horny boy. Shayla was a fricken bitch. She said it wasn't her fault her friend killed herself when it obviously was most of her fault. She said she would ditch her for more popular people. She chose popularity over someone she called her BEST FRIEND. She truly disgusted me. Then we have Natalie. She had soo many issues. I have no idea if they were mental or real. But she was pretty cool. 

Parker.. no. NO! Ivy has to find him. UGH! He has to be in the next book. That was the worst ending! WORST ENDING! He better be okay. Like seriously! GRRR.

The entire time I was reading I was wondering if the killer had anything to do with this. But it seemed pretty extreme and elaborate to invite these kids just to finish ONE murder. I had sooo many questions floating around in my head and I loved that. I love when books make you questions things. 

The only real issue I had with this book was that it was so fast paced that I actually lost interest towards the end and found myself putting the book down. I read the majority of the book in one sitting but after a while I had to get up and do stuff and I just didn't feel myself being dragged back to the book so it took me another 3 days to finish the book. Yes, that can be a bad thing but the book was still very good. 

Overall, I gave the book 4.5/5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei