Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Double Vision Review: Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor - Valeria + Dani

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 1:00 PM

Title: Maybe One Day
Author: Melissa Kantor
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication: February 18th 2014
Cover Rating: 4/5

I don't know how to feel about it, like its in the middle but I don't know if I am leaning towards more good than bad.
The book started out well enough but as it went on it started to irk me. 
Like, example, how the characters couldnt understand something simple but yet know something complicated, like oncology (I had to google that stuff)
To me a lot of it just seemed forced, the characters didnt naturally fall into their struggles, I could go on a full rant about the characters themselves but I feel like I would spoil much of it due to giving particular examples to which I rolled my eyes. They could annoy me to bits at times which is why I give the book a 3

Recommend it?
eh.... ish

Overall, I gave the book 3/5 stars.



I heard that this was a very sad book and to make sure that I have tissues ready. I could see how this is a sad book, but I couldn’t connect to the characters or the story.


This is a story about a teen that faces an aggressive type of cancer. Going through the treatments that the doctors think that will help her. But with every cancer there can be setbacks. With the setbacks, the doctors still do the best they can. I know about doctors giving chemotherapy and that some can lose their hair. I had to watch my Nana go through it all. With this in my background, I still couldn’t connect to anything that happened.

What Maybe One Day did for me was show me lessons that you tend to learn as you grow. That children and teens can get cancer. It’s a sad fact, but it happens more than people like to think about. Due to illness, it is hard on the patient, but not only on them. It is hard for everyone connected to that person. It’s hard because they love and care about them and just want them to happy and healthy instead of sick. I found one other lesson important. Which is hard work may not always pay off the way you want it to, but it teaches you not to give up.

I started to connect to the story at the end. I felt Melissa Kantor put all the emotion she could in the last 30 pages or so and it hit me all at once. It made me cry a lot and I had a hard time getting through the end.

Overall, I did like Maybe One Day, but not as much as I would have liked. If you are looking for best friends having to go through a traumatic even together, then I recommend you read it. I recommend it to anyone who wants a story of setbacks and let downs, but no one giving up.

“That’s the thing about dying. Nobody knows how long it takes.” –Hospice Nurse


I rate this 3/5. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei