Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Topic Tuesday[3] - Retellings - Beauty and the Beast

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 3:30 PM

This weeks Topic Tuesday is Beauty and the Beast retellings. There have been a lot of these lately but all of them are completely different. I know I said Cinderella was probably the favorite of all the fairytales BUT I am starting to think that Beauty and the Beast is taking that spot.



The first retelling I am going to mention is my favorite one. I read this book and adored it so much. The world is amazing and the characters are beautifully crafted. This one sticks to the story pretty well but of course it has its own twist. If you are looking for a darker spin on Beauty and the Beast then this is the book for you. The author has 2 other books. Gilded Ashes is actually a Novella set in the same world as Cruel Beauty. It is a Cinderella retelling that I forgot to include in the last Topic Tuesday. Then there is Crimson Bound. A lot of people think it is part of the Cruel Beauty series but it is not. Just has a similar cover design. That book is actually a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood and is set in an entirely different world. So this author is pretty good with retellings.


Of Beast and Beauty sounds like another pretty twisted retelling. I haven't read it but I do own it and hope to read it soon. I can't really say much on this book as the synopsis is pretty vague. But it sounds really good. Stacey Jay writes a lot of retellings as well. You should check her out if you enjoy retellings.


This is another one that I haven't read but I own. I do know that it has faeries in it. I also know that it has pretty high ratings and a lot of people adore the author. I have heard that it isn't an upfront retelling, though. So it might have some aspects of Beauty and the Beast but it isn't an outright retelling.


And then we have Beastly. This was the first Beauty and the Beast retelling I ever heard of. I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie and it was pretty good. This story is told in present day and the Beast was a popular guy in high school but he messed with the wrong person and ended up cursed. Alex Flinn is another author know for writing retellings.

If you have any other Beauty and the Beast YA retellings you would like to add then feel free to leave them in the comments!

1 comments:

weezle on January 19, 2016 at 8:35 PM said...

There is also the 1978 retelling by Robin McKinley called Beauty. I read it when I was in high school and loved it.

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei