Friday, January 26, 2018

Author Spotlight: It Should Have Been You by Lynn Slaughter + Interview - 4.5 stars

Posted by HelloJennyReviews at 9:00 AM
Lynn Slaughter has a passion for dance and music―from Frank Sinatra to Chopin―and her first book, While I Danced, was a finalist in the 2015 EPIC competition in the Young Readers category.

Title: It Should Have Been You
Genre: YA Murder Mystery
Author: Lynn Slaughter
Publisher: Page Street
Publication: January 30th 2018
Cover Rating: 3/5
Reading format: Physical ARC

It Should Have Been You by Lynn Slaughter is the story of twin sisters Moura and Clara. One is dead and one is accused of being the killer. Moura was a piano prodigy and had a huge following and everyone thought Clara resented and was jealous of her sisters fame so Clara was the first person everyone blamed.

Clara and Moura were as different as twins could be. Moura is a piano prodigy that had plans of going to college early and making a life of fame for herself. Clara was more reserved and wanted a normal life as a writer/journalist. The people who fawned over Moura always thought Clara resented her fame when that couldn't have been further from the truth. Even her own mother thought Clara was jealous. So, with her sisters death and with people thinking she killed her, Clara goes out and tries to solve the crime that the cops are having a problem solving. 

This book has two mysteries as opposed to most books only having one real plot. We have the mystery behind who killed Moura and then we have a sub-mystery where someone is cyber-stalking and threatening Clara because they think she killed her sister so they want her to pay for the crime. That made this book very unique. I think I have read maybe 2 or 3 other books that had sub-mysteries involved. I think it is a very good idea if it's done right.

And no mystery novel is complete without some weird romance thrown in at the worst time possible. The romance itself was cute and fairly innocent but also fairly insta-lovey. But it also isn't a mystery book without some big problem with the relationship and the problem in this relationship was HUGE. Even I didn't see that coming.

In the end, I REALLY enjoy this book. The double mystery was so fun! I actually forgot that there was another mystery to be solved and then it was like BAM so that was definitely a nice surprise. I love when mystery books sneak up on you. I DID guess who both of the "bad guys" were, though. But that doesn't say much because I can always guess. It is very rare that I cannot figure out who the bad guy is within the first 100 pages of the book.

Overall, I gave the book 4.5/5 stars.



1) What was the inspiration behind IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOU?

The initial idea came from an adult student I’d had many years ago. She shared with me that when she was a teenager, her identical twin had been murdered, and the crime had never been solved. In fact, fearing that she might be the next victim, the FBI kept her under surveillance.
Her story stuck with me, and I began to play the “What If?” game. What if the murdered twin had been the center of attention in her family and a superstar in the community, and the twins hadn’t gotten along? And what if rumors swirled that the surviving twin had killed her sister, and then she started receiving threats?

2) If you could pick one book to reread for the rest of your life what would it be?

I love so many books! But right now, I want to mention WONDER by R.J. Palacio. I love Auggie’s voice and character and really identify with his longing to be accepted for who he is on the inside, a wonderfully “normal” kid.

3) What was your favorite part to write in IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOU?

I’m a sucker for romance, so I’d have to say I especially loved writing the scenes between Clara and Ben, her love interest.

4) Tell us five random facts about you:

I was a huge Nancy Drew fan growing up, so when our family’s apartment was broken into, I offered several theories about the crime to the police investigators. They told my mom they thought I must have been the burglar, based on my “suggestions” about how the crime could have beencommitted. Fortunately, she thought this was very funny!

I can still recite all the words to the intro of the old Superman TV show.

My husband and I met in a dance company.

I’ve sung vocals in a rock band.

I’m totally spoiled: My husband loves to cook and does all the cooking.

5) Are you currently working on any new books?

Yes! Thanks for asking. I have two young adult novels I’m actively working on. . 
Gone centers around Leisha, a musically and academically gifted African-American teen on scholarship at an exclusive New England boarding school. When her music teacher and mentor goes missing just before a major vocal competition, Leisha suspects foul play and undertakes her own investigation. Meantime, she tries to rebuff the romantic overtures of Cody, a cellist who’s appointed himself as her sidekick. She’s sure that the grandfather who raised her would disown her if she took up with a white boy, and Cody’s wealthy conservative family wouldn’t be thrilled about her either. 
Whereas Leisha comes from a poor background, Samantha (Sam), the protagonist of Killing Mr. Holloway, is the daughter of a widowed heiress who impulsively announces she’s marrying Adam Holloway, a much younger man. Sam is sure he’s after her mother’s money, and she both distrusts and detests him. When he gets murdered, the evidence points to Sam as the killer, and she must prove her innocence.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join us on Facebook

Please wait..10 SecondsCancel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Hello Jenny Reviews Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei